Respected Contributor

I Just Tried a Scalp Scrub. Should You?

There's nothing going on with my scalp. A little dry because of my age. I just wanted to try one of these new products. I bought Neutrogena Healthy Scalp with hyaluronic acid.

First, even before I started, I thought about two things. There's an "avoid contact with the eyes" warning. I have a little trouble controlling what gets into my eyes while washing my hair in the shower. Also what will hyaluronic acid that gets immediately rinsed out really do? In a serum or moisturizer that gets absorbed, OK. 

You scrub your scalp while standing in front of the sink. "Dampen then section hair and apply directly to scalp." Then you scrub. A little does NOT go a long way. It took a lot of the product to scrub my entire scalp. I scrubbed for about 3 minutes.

In the shower it rinsed out easily. I then used my regular shampoo.

So, does my scalp feel clean and healthy? Yes. But it usually feels clean and healthy after a shampoo.

Is it worth adding 5 minutes to a shampoo and shower? I don't know yet, but I'm leaning towards no. Remember, this product is supposed to moisturize a dry scalp, not remove oils from an oily scalp.

Anyone else have experience with this kind of hair product?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Just Tried a Scalp Scrub. Should You?

Never tried this before. I just don't think I want to add that time to my routine. Let us know what your final decision is! 

Honored Contributor

I don't need a scalp scrub. The oil, sweat and dirt can be shampoo'd away. I don't use any styling products so no need to scrub that stuff off.

Respected Contributor

@PickyPicky3 

The Beekman boys had what I thought was good advice.  They said no need to layer the shampoo on top of the hair, try to get it to the scalp and massage that and naturally suds will appear and then move them around the hair.

Their reasoning is that the scalp needs the attention and I guess added circulation.  I haven't noticed anything differently since shampooing that way but it does feel good!

Honored Contributor

I use Tweak’d scalp scrub about every ten days.  Who knows if I really need it, but I like it 🤷‍♀️.  It can be used as a body exfoliator too.  I haven’t tried it on my face, I think it’s a bit much for that. I also found this rubbery silicone scalp stimulator massager thing that I use in conjunction with The Ordinary Hair Peptides.

Honored Contributor

Jus’ plain ole’ coconut 🥥 oil for me, once every two weeks or so.

Massage into scalp, comb through, wait 30 min., and cleanse.

Easy Peasy 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

I use Joyce Guirard's scalp scrub once a week. I bought Tweak'd to see how I'd like it. Don't like it as well, but just personal preference.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

Once in a while I'll put an ACV rinse on my hair and scalp. Leaves my hair very soft and my scalp feels super clean, too.

Respected Contributor

Years ago a friend shared with me what she used on her scalp to "clean" it.  It was so long ago, I don't remember what I used.  I do recall it was 2 or 3 products.  One may be like hydrogen peroxide...I don't know.  I do remember that afterwards my scalp felt like a 20 pound weight was lifted off it.  Sure wish I had written it down.

Valued Contributor

Maybe once I add a heaping tablespoon of baking soda when I shampoo.  I'm afraid peroxide would remove my hair color.  The baking soda takes all the built up products in my hair, does a great recipe job.