Honored Contributor

I Hope (for now) people are no longer wearing those long fingernails

I haven't watched much TV except for the news.

But I was wondering if any of you have seen or heard where people are cutting those long pointed nails that were the style right before the virus was discovered.

I don't normally have long nails just a tiny bit above the tip of my finger.  There were times when I had them manicured a little longer.

Right now I'm cutting them down to right above the skin.

Trusted Contributor

Re: I Hope (for now) people are no longer wearing those long fingernails

Funny you mention this.

About 20 minutes ago I trimmed my already short-ish nails even shorter for ease of cleaning.

I have absolutely no scientific facts to back up that shorter nails are cleaner, just feels right for me.

Honored Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl wrote:

Funny you mention this.

About 20 minutes ago I trimmed my already short-ish nails even shorter for ease of cleaning.

I have absolutely no scientific facts to back up that shorter nails are cleaner, just feels right for me.

@Chicagosuburbangirl  @Annabellethecat66  I've always kept my nails very short, barely a strip of white showing at the ends. It's necessary to keep bacteria from hiding underneath. With antibacterial soap and a nail brush, it's much easier to feel confident that your hands are relatively germ free...short of wearing gloves. It's also important to care for cracked cuticles. Bacteria can hide there, too. Not scientific, but how I was taught before approaching clients for facials or makeup. 

Valued Contributor

I wear my nails long.  I also keep them meticulously clean especially with all my handwashing lately.  Why do you hope people aren't wearing their nails long now?  

Respected Contributor

@Carol Diane wrote:

I wear my nails long.  I also keep them meticulously clean especially with all my handwashing lately.  Why do you hope people aren't wearing their nails long now?  

Never cared for long nails. Unsanitary Because of their length, longer fingernails can harbor more dirt and bacteria than short nails, thus potentially contributing to the spread of infection. Many hospitals mandate that nurses and health care workers keep nails trim.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carol Diane wrote:

@Carol Diane   Sorry if you're offended, but especially long nails with colored polish or gel nails, etc., you can't see if they're clean underneath. For example, I cringe when Mally's hands get near a models face and eyes with long nails. 

Honored Contributor

A lot of people use long press on nails.  I don't.

Valued Contributor

No, I'm not offended at all but I'm not a makeup artist or in the health field, and I like the look of long manicured nails with jewelry, thus I wear them long and make sure they're clean and neat underneath.  Thank goodness we are all healthy and no one has ever gotten food poisoning here so I will continue throw caution to the wind and continue wearing them long (but I do understand if you're in a field like I've mentioned, then there is a need to keep them short).  

Honored Contributor

I have always kept mine about fingertip-length but even a bit shorter now since I have another grandbaby and I would hate to scratch her. I have also thought the super long nails were nasty-looking, not to mention how much bacteria they could carry. They have never been in style for anyone I know, but I still do see some women with them. They are claws, not fingernails!

Honored Contributor

My nails are short. But I still use a hand/nail scrub brush.