Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Hope (for now) people are no longer wearing those long fingernails

I went to get blood drawn at the hospital the day before surgery. The desk nurse couldn't draw blood and called a nurse down from surgery.

She washed her hands briefly and proceeded to take blood with no gloves on. She had very long artificial nails and I know the undersides collect dirt. 
   I told her to STOP and wear gloves. Her answer was "I don't have no disease, do you"?!  I insisted and her nails were popping through the gloves. 
   The next day being prepared for surgery I told two doctors about it and they knew exactly who she was. 
They said she does that all the time. I reported her!

Respected Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

I went to get blood drawn at the hospital the day before surgery. The desk nurse couldn't draw blood and called a nurse down from surgery.

She washed her hands briefly and proceeded to take blood with no gloves on. She had very long artificial nails and I know the undersides collect dirt. 
   I told her to STOP and wear gloves. Her answer was "I don't have no disease, do you"?!  I insisted and her nails were popping through the gloves. 
   The next day being prepared for surgery I told two doctors about it and they knew exactly who she was. 

@1Snickers  ~ 😳🤦🏻‍♀️

Super Contributor

As a nurse, I cringe when I see long nails and how it impedes the normal function of the fingers in doing tasks.

One time I was donating blood (AB-) and refused to let the woman touch me with those claws. It was unsanitary. I asked for someone else, and she would not call another person. So, I got up to leave and she was saying, "No, no, don't leave." 

That got the attention of the supervisor who came over. I explained my position, and the supervisor sent that woman away and did it herself. I believe she was unaware of those fingernails.

Honored Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

I told her to STOP and wear gloves. Her answer was "I don't have no disease, do you"?!  I insisted and her nails were
popping through the gloves. 

@1Snickers   Good for you!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My last pitch for shorter nails: My friend experienced frequent eye infections, pink eye, styes, etc. She also had more than the average number of UTIs. Her PCP finally suggested (insisted) she file down her nails and wear clear polish if any. She kept harboring bacteria underneath her longer nails and remove her dip nails, whatever those are.  

Her physician swabbed a sample under her longer nails trying to solve the mystery. As it turned out, a hot bed of bacteria. To make matters worse, her nails were done every 2 weeks at salons (a few different ones) and evidently not very clean ones. Even w/ hand washing, she kept getting infected...fungus/bacteria. She was put on a heavy antibiotic. It took two courses to kill it since it had become systemic. 

Honored Contributor

I don't care what anyone does with their nails and I really don't understand why "now" people shouldn't be wearing long nails.  I don't have super long nails but I do have a free edge on my nails.  I have always used the soap and water underneath my nails.

To think that anyone would have eye infections from long nails doesn't make sense to me unless the person is constantly jamming her fingernail in her eyes because they itch.  I am a contact lense wearer and even my shorter nails, I put my contact on my fingertip to put it into my eyes.  My nails never touch my eyes.  

I don't want to even think about how in the world someone would get UTIs from long nails.  That makes even lense sense to me than having eye problems.          

Honored Contributor

My sister has a weekly standing appointment for a manicure. She's not a happy camper!

Valued Contributor

@Lipstickdiva , I didn't want to keep adding to this thread because we all have our preferences for different reasons and that's fine.  But I'm glad you brought up wondering how long nails contribute to UTI's.  I understand harboring bacteria beneath the nails, but for the life of me I'd love to know ((well, maybe not) how in heaven's name she wipes where her nails would cause a problem.  Whose nails touch when they wipe???  Now that I consider gross and questionable.

Honored Contributor

I personally do not like long fingernails.  Everything can get under them and they are so unsanitary.  Short nails, a good manicure and pale pink polish is the look I like.  

Did you ever notice the Kardashian women and their nails?  Khloe and Kylie especially. Ugly.

kindness is strength