Honored Contributor

I Have a Trouble Buying the Beauty Hype

Call me a skeptic, but I still can't buy into many of the beauty hypes. I don't believe anti-aging products really help. I haven't tried Wen, I am not sold on the story about it. I haven't used Argan oil. I think the more the skin care costs or if ingredients are hidden for a product, the less likely I am to buy it. I did try Amazing Grace, but I couldn't really smell it, so I sent it back. I have not tried Philosophy skin care. Every few years there's a new in oil or ingredient. When I was a kid, it was balsam. Then it was jojoba. Then soy was added. They were not The Holy Grail. Then Shea butter in L' Ocitain- tried all of these and no big deal. There's constant promise with so many things, and there's a tendency for manufacturers to show off one or two natural ingredients while trying to cover up the other not-so healthy ingredients. I still buy cosmetics, but my expectations are not very high.

Respected Contributor

Re: I Have a Trouble Buying the Beauty Hype

Does anyone actually believe in the fountain of youth? I don't. That said, I have to wear makeup. I do not have makeup optional skin. Dark eye circles, uneven skin tone. I look better with makeup, albeit not the clown face look. And I have to moisturize. Dry dry skin. So while I buy makeup and creams, I don't think I'm falling for any hype. Some women who drink and smoke and eat poorly look much older than me, but that's another discussion..
Honored Contributor

I am continually gobsmacked at all of the many threads about trying this or that new line when the posters are already using every high-priced line that QVC or HSN (or both) sells. The "what did you buy today/this week" threads. Women who appear to be happy to purchase, on a continuing, frequent basis, every product from every cosmetic manufacturer on the planet, the higher the price the more efficacious, of course.

Whatever people manage to convince themselves of - (if you saw it on the internet it's true, if it costs $200+ it must work), it's not true. IMO no beauty product or hair product will do more than *temporarily* give the *appearance* of a desired improvement and there is no difference in EFFECT between the drugstore variety and the high-end variety.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

OK. So just curious, should all these vendors quit manufacturing and selling products? Perhaps they should all just get up and say HEY, buy my product for $--- it's exactly like every other product.?

Change is inevitable and new ingredients are found to be beneficial. Does everything work for everyone? Nope, but they do work for some folks. If someone can afford to buy and try, I say go for it. You'll never know if it will benefit you if you never try. Nothing wrong with your skepticism, but there's also nothing wrong with folks looking for great products.

Esteemed Contributor

Well, I do like to try new things and I have several products I really like and re-order on a regular basis such as Skinn Chin Up, which I love.

Something that temporarily reduces or diminishes the appearance of wrinkles is ok by me. I knew that going in. I don't believe that any cream is the same a facelift in a bottle, but having a nice boost for the day is great. I only live one day at a time so I can just put it on again tomorrow. Smiley Happy

However, I do have to add that regular long term use of Retin-a and a good daily SS have probably done more for my skin than anything else.

Honored Contributor

The manufacturers should keep on making new products and marketing them. Buck-I-Nana, people should look for, and buy what they like. I will usually wait for others to use the products for quite some time and then provide some feed back. I will read what the users say about their experiences and check into any scientific claims. I will remain skeptical and limit what I try. Everyone should make their own decisions about purchases.

Esteemed Contributor

There is not anti-aging. Aging happens and that's a fact. You can look and appear rested and youthful in attitude and dress but genetics does do it's obligation and what you have done through the years will also tell on you (i.e. smoking). I don't buy the hype either. It's like the snake oil folks of the past. There is no anti-aging. The body and it's systems wear out, period.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Super Contributor

"Every few years there's a new in oil or ingredient. When I was a kid, it was balsam. Then it was jojoba. Then soy was added. They were not The Holy Grail. Then Shea butter in L' Ocitain- tried all of these and no big deal."

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

OP, you really brought me back with your posting! Only then it was not called a "new skin/hair technology," it was just a 'new ingredient,' lol

Image result for 1970s face cream

Honored Contributor

On 4/4/2015 Amazinggrace2 said:

"Every few years there's a new in oil or ingredient. When I was a kid, it was balsam. Then it was jojoba. Then soy was added. They were not The Holy Grail. Then Shea butter in L' Ocitain- tried all of these and no big deal."

OP, you really brought me back with your posting! Only then it was not called a "new skin/hair technology," it was just a 'new ingredient,' lol

To go OT - Noxzema was the best treatment for severe sunburn I ever used.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

On 4/4/2015 moonchilde said:
On 4/4/2015 Amazinggrace2 said:

<br />

To go OT - Noxzema was the best treatment for severe sunburn I ever used.

It was!