Honored Contributor

Re: I Have a Trouble Buying the Beauty Hype

Over the many years I've been on the Q I've tried just about everyone's anti-aging products. They end up being very nice (albeit expensive) creams but very little results. I've even re-purchased items because they were "nice" creams even though I knew the results weren't what was hyped. But I'm over it. I bought Loreal's Moisturizing Cream (also a VERY nice cream, the one that beat out all the other moisturizers) and have stuck to it. My skin looks pretty good....

The ONLY thing I've purchased that I would recommend at least trying is the Nu-Face. It's based on science (electro-pulse into the facial muscles that strengthens them, which in turn pulls the skin upward a little). Works somewhat like a Facial Flex only the electro pulse does the work. While it's no miracle worker, it has restored the "apple" look to my cheeks, softened the 11's, softened the marionette lines and overall reduced the look of the wrinkles. This item was developed for people who had facial paralysis from stokes or other facial muscle problems and with the therapy they discovered a very favorable side-effect.

I have had my machine since November and use it every night for ten minutes.... {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

I'm over the Run.....Go Get It Now!! threads.So many products I've tried only to ask myself "are they serious"?

I tried Purity, dried my already dry skin out terribly. I bought 1 bottle of body wash and asked myself why I spent $17 on it while I had $4 Soft Soap brands. 1 jar of JM's body butter, couldn't get past the chemical smell so nothing else for me from that line. NP's Cold Plasma was a meh.

I do like Benefit They're Real and EL's Sumptuous mascaras. I have gone back to mostly EL skin care and mu. Work well for me and I consider most of that line mid priced. I like a few Revlon lipsticks in the original black tube, about $8.

Sorry but $30+ for a lipstick, $72 for a Bobbi Brown palette is more than I care to spend on products that don't make me look 25. Wink

Respected Contributor

I dont believe there is a cream that is going to reverse wrinkles or keep your skin looking 20. The most I would like is a moisturizer that really moisturizes since I have dry skin. Part of my problem is that I have not found my holy grail yet. Having said that, it doesnt stop me from trying different things. Sometimes I have an issue I want to address, ie dryness and that sends me on a whole path. The ladies on these boards get me a lot. The enthusiasm is contagious. Although, I think once I am through a lot, I am going back to the basics for the most part. Hopefully, in my arsenal of products I have on hand, I will find one or two that I really love and would repurchase. It is fun though and the fact these boards are filled with ladies that love products and mu as much as I do is awesome and I really appreciate that. No on in my real life is into all this stuff. They use what they use and that is it. So, these boards when they are jumping are fun. But, I agree, there are no miracle creams in a jar.
Trusted Contributor

You're not "having trouble".......you're simply too intelligent to be hoodwinked! And good for YOU! It's nice to have a good cleanser, a good moisturizer, sunscreen, and a few basic makeup items if you want to enhance nature and disguise flaws. Beyond that, it's all a huge con game, with pie-in-the-sky promises and ridiculous prices. You can buy what you really need in your local drugstore for a tiny fraction of what QVC charges for its beauty lines. Most of the cost is for the uplifting promises and the aura of magic and mystery the salespeople spin around these pricey potions. Get real and save your money.

Trusted Contributor

On 4/4/2015 GoodStuff said:

You're not "having trouble".......you're simply too intelligent to be hoodwinked! And good for YOU! It's nice to have a good cleanser, a good moisturizer, sunscreen, and a few basic makeup items if you want to enhance nature and disguise flaws. Beyond that, it's all a huge con game, with pie-in-the-sky promises and ridiculous prices. You can buy what you really need in your local drugstore for a tiny fraction of what QVC charges for its beauty lines. Most of the cost is for the uplifting promises and the aura of magic and mystery the salespeople spin around these pricey potions. Get real and save your money.

I have been saying this for years.

It's not being "hoodwinked", it's being intelligent to see through the hype. I have been using Oil of Olay, original formula for years. I have no wrinkles, my skin is smooth, and I have no problems what so ever with my skin except an occasional break out..but we all know that is from hormones.

If some product works for you great. But the more expensive a cream or product is, does not make it better than a good old bar of soap and a basic moisturizer. Any dermatologist will tell you that...unless they have their own product line.Wink{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Super Contributor

On 4/4/2015 RedHeadedWench said:
On 4/4/2015 GoodStuff said:

I have been saying this for years.

It's not being "hoodwinked", it's being intelligent to see through the hype. I have been using Oil of Olay, original formula for years. I have no wrinkles, my skin is smooth, and I have no problems what so ever with my skin except an occasional break out..but we all know that is from hormones.

If some product works for you great. But the more expensive a cream or product is, does not make it better than a good old bar of soap and a basic moisturizer. Any dermatologist will tell you that...unless they have their own product line.Wink{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Along with all the above beauty products, add into that mix all the newest and best trending outfits we're supposed to buy at their recently-inflated prices..... and you have the NEW Q!

Honored Contributor

I personally wouldn't start with the who's intelligent, because that implies that any of us who do buy anything other than the basics are not intelligent.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

On 4/4/2015 suzyQ3 said:

I personally wouldn't start with the who's intelligent, because that implies that any of us who do buy anything other than the basics are not intelligent.

Gotta have my IQ checked! {#emotions_dlg.scared} {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Super Contributor

On 4/4/2015 suzyQ3 said:

Exactly. I use a mix of prestige and drugstore skincare/makeup because I am happy with these products and have seen results. I wouldn't assume that I was any more intelligent than another poster who is simply doing the same as I am - purchasing lines (at any price point) that they believe makes a difference in their overall appearance.

Honored Contributor

Do whatever works for you and what you like. That is one of the great things about this world- we have so many choices! There are studies that have consistently shown that certain ingredients do help to support and protect the skin but if you don't believe them, than that is your choice. Smile