Respected Contributor

I HEARD BACK FROM SKINN ON THEIR FACE WIPES- I'm IMPRESSED!

[ Edited ]

I had read here on the boards how METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE was banned in the EU and something that should be avoided, and that it is in the Skinn wipes.....   so I wrote to them, and was very impressed by their reply:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  Skinn always strives to have the safest and most effective ingredients in everything we offer.  When formulating products our staff spends many hours to ensure this is the case. Methylisothiazolinone (MI) has been a widely used ingredient in cosmetics and tested heavily to prove safe.  Any toxicity of MI was at extremely high concentrations applied directly to sensitive tissue. Neither of these are the case in cosmetics and especially not in the Olive & Enzyme Wipes.  Nevertheless, you are correct in that the EU recently banned this ingredient, effective in February. Although we are confident MI poses no threat in cosmetic use, we prefer to conform to the more strict European standards and have already begun the process of eliminating MI from our formulations.

Thank you again for your concern.  It is working with our customers that ensures we only offer the best and safest formulations on the market!

Athena, Skinn CS

Honored Contributor

Re: I HEARD BACK FROM SKINN ON THEIR FACE WIPES- I'm IMPRESSED!

This is new information to me, but I have not yet used SKINN's wipes.  At least they responded!!

Thanks

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@winamac1

Is your email down? Mine kept coming back this AM?

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Regarding ingredients being banned via the EU:

There were many banned that consumers feel is foolish/stupid. It has made products that for decades were allowed in the UK become available no longer and that's not going over well. I know family members of mine are part of the crowd disputing specific ingredients and claiming that this isn't about public safety but $$$$.

The fact that I'm sending care packages of items no longer available there shows the demand for them hasn't wavered despite the ruling.

Contributor

I was very glad to hear Skinn responded, I have that allergy and I do in fact react to their facial wipes, if others don't I am happy for them, I put this out there just as a heads up, not to aggracate anyone

Honored Contributor

I'm shocked that you got a reply. This could go down in history! I think it was an insult to Dimitri's intelligence after he told us he researches every ingredient out there-so he had them respond.

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Regarding ingredients being banned via the EU:

There were many banned that consumers feel is foolish/stupid. It has made products that for decades were allowed in the UK become available no longer and that's not going over well. I know family members of mine are part of the crowd disputing specific ingredients and claiming that this isn't about public safety but $$$$.

The fact that I'm sending care packages of items no longer available there shows the demand for them hasn't wavered despite the ruling.

@SahmIam   When I read about this additive on the boards and did a little reasearch,  I  found that it was something that I would prefer not to use, and since it was not used by other brands, felt compelled to send Skinn an email.  I love their wipes, but wanted more info as to why they added the MI.  I appreciated their  reply and the fact that they are in the process of taking this out of their skincare.  There is always room for knowledge and improvement.  How wonderful that they appreciate their customers enough to acknowledge an email with a reply other than the standard meaningless  form letter sent to everyone.  Bravo Skinn.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@winamac1

Is your email down? Mine kept coming back this AM?

No...I changed it last week!! I'll email you when I get home!!! Thx! 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

That is great they responded! The ingredients is something I too prefer to try to avoid. It is hard because many products use it but I do feel there are better, more safe alternatives out there. Although I don't use his wipes, for those that do, glad to hear they are looking to replace it eventually!

Esteemed Contributor

There are so many other preservatives that are so much better and not sensitizing like this ingredient is. 

It is not meant to be left on the skin and should only be used in products that are rinsed off the skin, not leave on products and even then can be sensitizing. Even very small amounts shouldn't be used.

This is not something I would use on my skin either in leave on or rinse off because there are so many other options and so many other preservatives that do not do this. I find this odd that someone who claims to be so well versed in skin care would allow this in their products at all. There are quite a few medical sources stating this, here in the US. 

The directions also say no need to rinse.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK