Respected Contributor

Re: I HATE sunscreen. Help..

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I don't like sunscreen either, but wear it religiously.  My favorites that are not heavy or smelly are:

~ Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Daily Moisturizing Lotion SPF 30

~ EltaMD UV Physical Broad-Spectrum SPF 41

~ Kiss My Face Face Factor Sun Screen for Face and Neck, SPF 30

I've tried too many to count and this is my suggestion.  

I use/have used the first two, and absolutely love them. Won't be without them. I also really love Colorescience powder to set or touch-up my face, especially on vacation or when I know I'll be in the sun.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I posted the following on a somewhat related thread:

I have just started using CeraVe Sunscreen SPF Sunscreen Face Lotion. It is a physical sunscreen. It is very light, blends easily, and leaves only a whisper of a white cast --  almost nothing on my light- to medium-toned skin (might show up more on darker skins). Very econonomical.

I can put foundation over it easily. In fact, yesterday I put my liquid foundation over it, and the result actually looked better with the sunscreen underneath.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm looking for a new facial moisturizer with physical sunscreen, at least spf 30, not tinted. I would say my skin is normal to dry.  

I've used Josie Maran in the past and find it a bit too greasy.  Liked Perricone Photo Plasma, but that is too expensive.  Liked Clarins but they changed the formula so it is no longer only physical (except the tinted formula).

I was looking at Elta MD (which I've seen many recommend) but they have a ton of different formulas between SPF 40-50 (some tubes, some pumps, etc) although it looks like most aren't all physical and the physical one is tinted.  Also looking at Paula's Choice and she has a few possibilities as well -- including Redness Relief SPF 30 Mineral Moisturizer.  Not sure how much difference is there between that and the Skin Recovery Daily Moisturizing Lotion SPF 30?   Also wondering if anyone has used MDSolarSciences Mineral Creme SPF 30?

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I am allrergic to sunscreen on my face so I can only use the zinc ones - which, of course can't be used every day as they are very white and thick. Yesterday DH & I went to a tent sale and were outside a lot so I did wear LG spackle with sunscreen for that event but as soon as I got home I washed it off. Didn't help - my eyes were swollen and painful all evening and still this morning. I am going to a funeral at the graveside on wednesday and here in Florida it will be sunny so I will have to wear the same again and put up with the swollen and sore eyes another day. 

I use a physical sunscreen every day and it is not very white nor thick. They can and absolutely should be used every single day. I don't know where you get this info. I mean you were a nurse!!! Have you not heard of melanoma? There are many different kinds of suncreens in different forms for those who do not like liquid ones. They have liquid ones that are also not greasy at all but in a gel form that are completely matte on the skin.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

I used to hate sunscreen too. BUT, not for the reason you might think, it was always staining my light summer whites and khakis! They would come out of the wash with orange staining!

Thanks to this beauty board I, learned it was from chemical sunscreen instead of physical only sunscreen.Last summer I switched to the CeraVe line without any staining of my summer clothing!

Now my skin and my clothes are safe!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Valued Contributor

La Roche Posay Anthelios 50 is light weight, doesn't itch and feels like wearing nothing.

Elta MD Physical 41 is also excellent

These are my go-to products.
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I am allrergic to sunscreen on my face so I can only use the zinc ones - which, of course can't be used every day as they are very white and thick. Yesterday DH & I went to a tent sale and were outside a lot so I did wear LG spackle with sunscreen for that event but as soon as I got home I washed it off. Didn't help - my eyes were swollen and painful all evening and still this morning. I am going to a funeral at the graveside on wednesday and here in Florida it will be sunny so I will have to wear the same again and put up with the swollen and sore eyes another day. 

I use a physical sunscreen every day and it is not very white nor thick. They can and absolutely should be used every single day. I don't know where you get this info. I mean you were a nurse!!! Have you not heard of melanoma? There are many different kinds of suncreens in different forms for those who do not like liquid ones. They have liquid ones that are also not greasy at all but in a gel form that are completely matte on the skin.

@Irshgrl31201, this is yet another one of her themes. She has softened a bit because at one time she really did sound anti-sunscreen. It used to generate many very compelling and often sad posts from those who knew first-hand the serious consequences.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@sueinsf wrote:

I'm looking for a new facial moisturizer with physical sunscreen, at least spf 30, not tinted. I would say my skin is normal to dry.  

I've used Josie Maran in the past and find it a bit too greasy.  Liked Perricone Photo Plasma, but that is too expensive.  Liked Clarins but they changed the formula so it is no longer only physical (except the tinted formula).

I was looking at Elta MD (which I've seen many recommend) but they have a ton of different formulas between SPF 40-50 (some tubes, some pumps, etc) although it looks like most aren't all physical and the physical one is tinted.  Also looking at Paula's Choice and she has a few possibilities as well -- including Redness Relief SPF 30 Mineral Moisturizer.  Not sure how much difference is there between that and the Skin Recovery Daily Moisturizing Lotion SPF 30?   Also wondering if anyone has used MDSolarSciences Mineral Creme SPF 30?

@sueinsf I like Elta MD's Pure spf 47. It is physical only. I also love two of Paula's choice - Hydralight which has now been renamed and, regardless of what they say, does NOT have identical ingredients so not sure how the new one is; and the Skin recovery SPF that you mentioned. the Skin Recovery is one I use when my skin feels more dry and the hydralight one in warmer weather or want a less moisturizing one. I have dry skin and both work great for me. HTH!

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201, this is yet another one of her themes. She has softened a bit because at one time she really did sound anti-sunscreen. It used to generate many very compelling and often sad posts from those who knew first-hand the serious consequences.

I know I should be used to it but I still find it surprising considering she was a nurse. I think that most people associate SPF more with anti aging and anti wrinkle than they do life saving. I know I felt that way myself until I saw my first case of skin cancer. It was so shocking how painful and disfiguring it could be. I really had no idea, I was so ignorant to it many years ago. I think that is why I find her comments on it so staggering considering she has medical training and knows about it. I shouldn't even comment on it anymore regarding her posts, it is like talking to a brick wall. But I do want others to know it is so much more important than a cream to prevent wrinkles. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

My all time favorite (because it's so lightweight, I cannot feel it on at all) is the dermalogica SPF 50 booster. It does have a faint lavender scent (which I absolutely love) so this may not be ideal if you are sensitive to fragrance.