Honored Contributor

Re: I Guess We've Thrown Out A Lot of Makeup Since COVID

I did a big toss out after I finished chemo and radiation in 2013---did another one a few years ago and prob will go thru stuff now and do the same---I don't wear any make up anymore---don't go out or work so really don't need anything. Just do my skin care every day and night.

Honored Contributor

Any makeup that wasn't used or was unopened got donated last year & the year before to Project Beauty Share in Spokane, WA. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Knit-Chick wrote:

oh gosh,  I probably shouldn't tell you how old some of my make up is  (mostly eye shadow and lipstick)... you would all cringe!  LOL

@Knit-Chick , I'm with you.  I toss stuff when I know it's rancid.  The thing I toss the most are lipsticks because I have so many of them.  When they get a nasty smell or taste, I toss them.

I recently tossed a bronzer that has to have been close to 10 years old.  I only tossed it because I found another I like better.   One of the blushes I use is probably 15+ years old.  LOL

I don't even follow the 3 month mascara "rule."  I use my mascara until it is dried up.  I've never suffered from eye issues or infections.     

Frequent Contributor

I have only thrown out mascara and a blush I didn't like. I still wear a full face of makeup m-f and sometimes weekends.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Knit-Chick wrote:

oh gosh,  I probably shouldn't tell you how old some of my make up is  (mostly eye shadow and lipstick)... you would all cringe!  LOL

I'd bet anything that my makeup is older than your makeup.

I'm just not worried.

I'm worried about lots of things, but not my makeup.

Honored Contributor

I did have a major cleanout but it had nothing to do with COVID.  It was just time.  COVID hasn't really affected my day to day life.  I've always washed my hands when I come home from being out and about...with a bone on bone knee problem, that's not very often Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

@monicakm @blueroses47 @MeriH @Lipstickdiva 

@JustJazzmom 

I don't wear anything but eye makeup and antiaging under my mask at work.  

Super Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Why?  I have not thrown out any cosmetics.

@Mom2Dogs 

Bacteria grows over time.  It's not worth the risk.  I have unopened backups.

With the virus I am only using eye makeup.

@ECBG   Remember mascara should be tossed out every 3 months. That's why I use L'Oréal on sale which ends up costing about $7 each. One symptom of Covid is "pink eye". Bacteria-free mascara is a good idea.

I never go by that rule. Use it for up to a year. Never have a problem.

Honored Contributor

Since I have to wear a mask if I go out, I have only been putting on eye makeup. The mask has really caused me to break out around my chin and lower cheek area...especially if I have to wear it very long. I have some makeup I need to go through and toss but my LG makeup seems to last forever and am not going to toss it unless it really seems to be pasr it's prime.

Honored Contributor

I don't own a lot of makeup but the stuff I have is on the expensive side and I'm not throwing it out until it's empty or past its prime. I only weak makeup twice a week at the most.