Respected Contributor

Re: I Guess I'm Just Going to Have to Give Up Vit C

I am seventy eight. I started using Retinamicro for a type of acne that I got from a lunchtime peel when I was fifty.

I used it in a high strength; I can't remember.

I also started using Bare Minerals instead of the heavier m/u I used to cover my bad skin. All of a sudden I started getting compliments on my skin. I thought people were making fun of me because I had bad skin all my life: too oily and acne prone. I was like the fat girl who lost weight and still felt fat. 

I kept using it at the same strength until my last derm. I have Sjogren's syndrome and acutely sensitive skin. I don't have enough melanin to tan and always take the lightest foundation.

I kept using the high strength until my most recent derm. She said for cosmetic reasons I didn't need the high strengh and wrote me trenitoin O.4%. I can only use the form that has gel Microsphere. She got it covered by insurance. She quoted a couple research articles re the strength. She is a researcher and one of the smartedt doctors I have ever seen.

She left the area recently and I see a new derm in a few weeks. I suspect I'll get the same opinion.

Because I have so little melanin I do not tan. I was in one of the first studies of sunblock. I kept using it. You couldn't buy it in the drugstore yet.

'

I have very few wrinkles. I am a sagger but no cosmetic helps that.

When I was in the hospital a year ago one of the night nurses kept asking me why I had so few wrinkles. Finally I wrote down ''sunscreen and Retina micro." I told her to leave it in the nurses lounge.

Trusted Contributor

@monicakm Not so sure about that. Dr. Dennis Gross encourages both to his patients and his line shows this. I've seen him and did it for awhile but we both agreed that I couldn't do both on my neck/chest/throat are due to hypersensitivity. My face is fine with it, however. I use a spf50 daily as well.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@Franklinbell 

6?  That's not fair Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@Franklinbell  Do you apply the tretotinoin all over the face or just the areas you need to target? The worst for me are the lines above my upper lip.

thanks

Honored Contributor

@Franklinbell  Do you apply the tretotinoin all over the face or just the areas you need to target? The worst for me are the lines above my upper lip.

thanks 

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs @all over my face. Very lightly but all over!

Respected Contributor

@monicakm my mom was older when I was born. My grandmother said I was an old egg! Lol. She meant it with love!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs 

Tretinoin is formulated to apply all over the face and not as a spot treatment.

Tret has a peculiar way of transversing under the skin after application. In other words, it has the ability to travel sideways under the skin so even if you apply it in just one area it will travel under the skin to other areas. Exactly how far I don't know.

This HotandFlashy video is a good one for tret starters:

How To Start Using Retin A + My Skincare Routine for Anti-Aging!

Honored Contributor

Thank you @SilleeMee