Honored Contributor

I Guess I'm Just Going to Have to Give Up Vit C

According to the resident scientist, I can't use Vit C and Retinol in the same routine.  According to Google, I can't use Lactic Acid and Vit C in the same routine.  They will cancel each other out.  Humm, maybe I can use LA at night with Retinol.  Google just said yes, I can use LA and Retinol in the same  routine and that they are a match made in heaven if it's not irritatingSmiley Happy  Do you agree @SilleeMee 

Honored Contributor

Re: I Guess I'm Just Going to Have to Give Up Vit C

Very simple to use C in the daytime and Retinol A at night. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Compatibility with vitamin C serum depends on the the kind of derivative. Look at this chart:

image.png

Proceed with caution just means if you have sensitive skin but it's okay otherwise.

Valued Contributor

I did a little research for myself and decided from what I read that I could use Magnesium Vit C with retinol. But this type of Vit C is less effective, which is ok since I have other stronger Vit C products to use when I'm not using retinol.

@SilleeMee Thanks so much for your posts of these tables. It makes it simple for me to know what I can mix and what I can't. Although I struggle most with what I can mix peptides with and what to stay away from. Recenlty I've mixed copper peptides with peptides and think that is ok.

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm Nice to see you posting.  Hope you had a great holiday!

I used Vitamin C when I first started using skin care products in my 40s.  At some point I started using glycolic acid and retinol products because I think they are more powerful, and stopped the C, not on purpose, just using different products.  I have wondered whether to add it, but not sure its adds anything.  I use the StriVectin on top of the retinol.  I have also used the Perricone Neuropeptide Facial Conformer (a pump, not the cream) over glycolic acid and think it is magical for smoothing wrinkles.  But it is too expensive for me.

The idea that retinol is more powerful than Vitamin C is what I have read and experienced, but JMO, of curse.

Happy to be corrected if someone thinks otherwise.

Esteemed Contributor

Isomers forumlater has spoken abouth this several times. It depends on the type of C

Honored Contributor

I just don't wear them at the same time, plus I think that could be irritating to some skin.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYCLatinaMe 

Thank you Smiley Happy  Happy New Years to you as well.  I've been having a tough time with my knee lately but the syn visc shot I had last week is starting to work.  It's working SO good that I worked myself nearly to death cleaning the house couple of days ago.  We spent 9.5 hours.  So much has gone undone because of my knee pain.  

I use Retinol and GA too so maybe Vit C is pointless.  Goodness, it takes a PhD to figure out all this skincare stuff!  I've just finished a bottle of Missha Vita C.  I hope I don't have another bottle of it in the fridge.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle 

Yes but I was going to use the LA in the mornings till Google said it and C would cancel each other out but that LA and Retinol were a match made in heaven so I'll keep what I'm doing and add the LA at night vs morning.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

Vit C looks like it's a problem with so much of what use.  I haven't been using it routinely and I'm quite pleased with my complexion, so, I may just drop the little trouble maker.