Honored Contributor

Re: I Got Some Very Bad News Today

We just returned from my parent's house.  They got the news today that my brother's stage 4 liver cancer is not only in his liver but also brain and lungs Smiley Sad  The pain meds he's been on are no longer working.  We will try to get him in with his Dr tomorrow.  If we can't, a RN friend of my daughter's will contact Hospice and have morphine called in to his pharmacy.  I know he's a 62 yr old MAN but right now I can only think of him as a little boy...my little (we're 11 months and 3 weeks apart) brother.  I'm sure that doesn't make sense. It's...I don't know what else to say.  Thank you for your prayers and concern.  I've only seen my husband of 42 years cry 2 times.  The death of his parents and now tonight when we got the latest news was the 3rd time.  They were friends before we started dating in 1976.

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm , I'm so sorry to hear the bad news. Thoughts and prayers don't seem to be enough, so I don't know what to say. No one should have to go through what your brother is dealing with. Not to mention the rest of the family. 

{{{{Monica.}}}}

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

I am so sorry @monicakm 😢.  No one deserves to go through this. I am glad you and your family have each other to maneuver through this together. 💜

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

SO VERY SORRY MONICAKM.  I WILL CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR YOUR FAMILY AT THIS MOST DIFFICULT TIME.  IT IS SO IMPORTANT TO HAVE SUCH A CLOSE FAMILY AS YOURS IS.  XO

Trusted Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

Thank you @ElvisShops 

I'm certain that the brunt of his diagnosis hasn't hit me like I know it's going to.  I know where he's going and I know he's at peace with that.  It's my parents that he has cared for for several years and honestly I don't think can manage without him that is going to result in...I can't even imagine.  With mom's heart problems and losing a child, I just don't know.  Dad's dementia keeps him from being able to manage/maintain a home.  He's 88.  There are a lot of changes coming.

Sending hugs.

Honored Contributor

So very sorry to hear your brother's latest news.  He will not linger too long, fortunately, unfortunately. 

62 years is very young---still.

You have a LOT on your plate.  As does everyone else in your family.

Moving in with a parent or having a parent move in with you is a big change.  You need to really think this over before anyone makes a move.  

Maybe they can sell their home and move in with you or your dad needs more care than you and your dear mother can handle.  It needs to be evaluated by all involved.  Your husband, your mother and even your father as much as he can understand.

How sad about his dementia, I've never experienced anyone suffering and I can't even imagine.  But I do understand it's daunting and it doesn't get better.

I hope you are able to get a good nights sleep, exhaustion is not good for the mind or the body.  Please take care of yourself, as I know you have some issues and I hope they don't worsen with worry.

Heart

Trusted Contributor

@monicakm My heart went out to you reading your update. You and your family will continue to be in my prayers. Hugs to you.

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Honored Contributor

@monicakm   Such sad news...Hospice will keep him pain free.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

My aunt and I took my brother to his Dr's appt yesterday.  I recorded the entire visit.  He told the Dr he was "ready to go home" and didn't want palliative treatment.  There was a few minutes of "church" between the two and Dr said as a believer and ready to go home, 
you have won the battle brother".  He put in orders for Hospice and within an hour of getting home, Hospice was there.  Two of them.  They are now in charge of pain meds to keep him comfortable.  Dr said he has days to weeks, not months to live.  Now that he has hospice keeping him comfortable and steroids from the Dr to help with eating and possibly even shrinking the liver a bit, he can finish out the rest of his life in as little pain as possible.  

I had to break the news to my parents.  Mom reacted as one would expect.  Dad kept asking me why the Drs couldn't heal him Smiley Sad  He seems to understand what is going on.  My brother has asked my husband to build his casket.  He does wonderful wood work and as I've mentioned here before, he's a building contractor.  

That's the latest.  We will be going back over there today.  He will be missed but as a family of believers, we know he's much better off and we WILL see him again.  He will leave this world as comfortably as Hospice can make him and enter into his next phase of his life in blissful, painless perfection for eternity.   

Esteemed Contributor

I am sorry your family is facing this now, but the peace of blessed assurance is what sees us through these valleys of life.

Stay strong, @monicakm .

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!