Honored Contributor

Re: I Got Some Very Bad News Today

Thank you @BarbiHollywood   It means a lot to know so many have taken time to wish us well.  My brother is actually the one that is keeping our spirits up.  Of course he feels horrible so much of the time but he keeps to himself when he does.  He's not doing what I'm sure I'd do with this news and pain.  He has a liver biopsy in a week.  When all the reports land on the Dr's desk, then he goes back for the definitive news.  

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Katcat1 

Thank you.  He's been in a good deal of pain for a couple of years.  He's been to numerous Drs for this exact issue.  It was just discovered last week.  How can that be???  He's not in pain atm.  He's eating cookies and taking the oil of the exact drug that started his drug abuse when he was 16.  Talk about a full circle moment.

'Full circle' what what I kept thinking the whole time I was reading your posts.

I volunteered at a transplant clinic at a great teaching hospital over 10 years ago.

I would never ask questions of someone who was suffering/dying from liver failure due to HCC or Hepatitis C, but many times they would offer how it all began.

No one that I can recall went straight to herion or other hard drugs, but I've digressed.

I'm guessing your brother isn't a candidate for a transplant at this point?  Different parts of the country do have different criteria, people move to other areas to qualify.  You'd be surprised how total strangers will step up to become liver donors.  I wonder if there is hope for that?

Also, chemo-embolization which is targeted chemo injections into the tumors to keep them from growing.  Has his doctor(s) mentioned that?

It's got to be awful to watch someone you love going through something like this.  I pray for you and your dear brother and family at this time.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm 

I am so very sorry.   This is a hard road to travel and we are with you every day. 

Just love and stay in prayer as we pray for you. 

Sending you strength. ❤

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm 

No one that I can recall went straight to herion or other hard drugs

Absolutely.  That's why it's called the gateway drug.  I'm sure this is controversial but in medical cases like this and even less extreme, I have no problem with medical marijuana for pain relief.  In his case it's been the only thing that has given him any relief.  I was diagnosed with MS in 1991.  With the exception of losing most of my vision temporarily and going thru what I called my "stupid spells" twice, I've had no other symptoms THAT I KNOW OF.   It's a tricky illness and easily over thought since there are so many symptoms and everyone is different.  I rarely even think about the fact that I have MS.  However, if I was one of the misfortunate ones and had constant pain from it, I've always said I wouldn't hesitate eating marijuana laced brownies or oils.  I could never smoke it.  Ooey gooey  brownies or cookies is the way to go.  My daughter actually brought me some brownies at the height of my knee pain (before surgery).  I don't recall it really helping.  My husband said it did help.  But, it caused issues in my head.  I couldn't sleep because I'd see "reels" of random people, places and things that would race across my vision from left to right.  Interesting for sure but not conducive to sleep.

My brother did have Hep C and was treated for it decades ago.  As for the other questions, we don't know yet.  He's had blood work, a brain MRI and a full body CT scan.  Next week he has a liver biopsy.  When his Dr gets all the results, he'll be better prepared to give him his final diagnosis and prognosis.

To quote my dad who (still after decades) quotes one of flight attendants, "life hard".

Honored Contributor

@BarbiHollywood 

Thank you.  Except for the initial news of picking up the phone and hearing my mom say that my brother is dying, I've been quite peaceful about the situation.  I know it's because I know he'll be in heaven waiting for the rest of us and he isn't freaking out.  He is setting the tone by being strong.  I know my emotions will be a roller coaster ride.  I'm a real sissy when it comes to every day drama but somehow I manage to step up and be an adult when it matters.  My husband tells me I'm a lot stronger than I give myself credit for.  I'm sure that can be said for a lot of us.  

Valued Contributor

So sorry.  Prayers for your family.

Honored Contributor

@QVCPhobe 

We spent a long and exhausting day with the family yesterday and last night.  I don't know how any of the three of them are putting one foot in front of the other.  I guess the saddest scenario is the fact that my (nearly) bed ridden mother doesn't have my dad to lean on emotionally.  She said that was the hardest burden of all.  With dementia, he can't be there for her.  She watching her son die and doesn't have the support a spouse can offer.

I've never been so emotionally drain in all my life.  So exhausted yet I couldn't sleep.  There are a  lot of changes ahead for them and it's maddening that we are stuck limbo when there is so much to take care of.  Bringing up the topic of them moving to a smaller place they can handle, is met with a glare Smiley Surprised  I feel helpless.  My hands are tied and I can't make anything happen if they're not willing.

It took HOURS yesterday to work up a grocery pickup order because mom couldn't  understand how it works.  I told her she didn't need to try to understand, just know that it does and I'll take care of it.  All I needed from her was a list of what she wanted.  All the while dad was looking out the window wonder why "this man" (my husband) had HIS trailer (it's ours) and what was he doing with it.  My husband and sil were installing a new AC for my brother.  

My new avatar is my dad's captain hat when he was a commercial airline pilot.  I've always wanted it when the time came.  Mom told me to go ahead and take it now.  It's unfathomable to see what dementia has done to this man.  I don't know what the proper name is for the cognitive issue mom has but in a way she's worse off than dad.  She has SO much on her plate.  I don't think it will be much longer before I'll need to move in with them.  I'm thankful they have the money for a weekly housekeeper and a lawnman and pool boy.  Wish their money could bring back their health Smiley Sad                                                                                                                                        

Esteemed Contributor

MANY, MANY PRAYERS SENT YOUR WAY.

THEY ARE SO BLESSED TO HAVE YOU!

Respected Contributor

Continued prayers for you and your family @monicakm.

Esteemed Contributor

Prayers for your brother and family