Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I long ago decided that as I get older, I am going to accept and embrace my wrinkles.

The only thing that will make someone look 25 again, is a time machine, and so far, they haven't invented that.

I don't wear any make-up, none, zero, nada. 

No foundation.

No mascarra.

No lipstick.

No fillers or face lift for me.

No Botox or Juvaderm either.

It is so freeing.

Good for you... I guess?

Respected Contributor
I think we are all different. I think we all do what makes us happy. My sisters are make up free. They have never been into it. Then there's me 😁 I will admit to a few addictions!
Honored Contributor

Re: I Embrace My Skin

[ Edited ]

It's a woman's choice.  I am 69 and I use moisturizer and then apply tinted moisturizer, a light touch of blush and lipstick.  Sometimes I will wear dark brown mascara depending on my mood.  One thing I won't use is Retin A.  I have heard stories on this forum about women using it and getting very dry skin.  Dry skin causes wrinkles so you are defeating the purpose.  I was recently using a new moisturizer at night and there was some ingredient that did not agree with me and was drying my skin -- out it went.  I used some oil on my face and in one day the dryness was gone.

Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I love makeup and will probably always wear it. It "dims" a few problems, and gives my small features (in a rather large face) definition. Plus, I just enjoy applying it! At 64, I don't think it makes me look younger...just better. Most days it's foundation, blush, eyeliner, mascara & sheer lip color.

I'm not a big skincare user...cleanse, moisturize, exfoliate about once a week with a gentle scrub. That's it!

Honored Contributor

I use good skincare. I do not purchase everything or on an impulse. I use a good cleanser, serum, moisturizer, and retinol product....I wear makeup thoguhout the week at work, however on the weekends I do go makeup free, with just lip gloss.

I love the feeling of having nothing on my skin. Now I will wear a little makeup if we are going somewhere special(wedding, party, etc.) but otherwise makeup free. I don't judge either. I work with a woman who is very judgemental, would never go to her mailbox without a full face of makeup on, and her hair just so, etc.....

She can't believe that I would go makeup free while out shopping, she always says what if you run into someone? Well obviously I run into lots of people, but most people I know aren't judgemental and could care less if I have makeup on or not....

To each their own.....Everyone has their own comfort level and should do as they wish and what makes them feel good......

Honored Contributor

I agree with accepting what you cannot change. But I don't agree with giving up on the things you still can.

I accept that my body is no longer 19. But that doesn't mean I don't exercise and watch what I eat now that my metabolism is older and slower. I wouldn't be happy if I just threw in the towel and said, "Well hell, I guess I'll gain weight and lose muscle tone over time. Might as well just sit here."

Adapting to change is good, and logical.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Also, since I enjoyed wearing makeup when I was younger (and still do), why on earth should I stop now? I apply it a bit differently, but I'm still the same person.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

Is this like the color/don't color conversation?  Do what you want but to me not doing all the little things you did when younger is just "giving up."  I like makeup, skincare, hair color, lipstick, etc.  I don't especially want to scare small children when I go out.  Don't equate not using makeup with "embracing" your age because to me it's not. They will have to pry foundation, hair color and lipstick out of my cold dead hands. 

Honored Contributor

It takes a lot of confidence not to wear makeup. Since I don't have a lot of confidence, I wear makeup to enhance my appearance...

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

It takes a lot of confidence not to wear makeup. Since I don't have a lot of confidence, I wear makeup to enhance my appearance...

@Trinity11 .  I wear glasses. In fact, I can’t see without them. I don’t bother with eye makeup because you can’t see it behind my glasses.