Honored Contributor

If that works for you, I'm happy for you.  We're all free to make our own choices but that will never be my choice.  I like makeup, I've been wearing makeup since I was 20 when I got my first job and I wanted to look sophisticated.  I don't need any fillers or injections now but if the time ever comes when I feel that I want help like that, I will not hesitate.  I'm 59 so now I use makeup to help me look fresher and prettier and to cover up things that I want to cover up.  I've always been a girly girl.  If I love to be 100, I'll be doing my face and my nails and having my hair done.     Because it's fun!

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

If that works for you, I'm happy for you.  We're all free to make our own choices but that will never be my choice.  I like makeup, I've been wearing makeup since I was 20 when I got my first job and I wanted to look sophisticated.  I don't need any fillers or injections now but if the time ever comes when I feel that I want help like that, I will not hesitate.  I'm 59 so now I use makeup to help me look fresher and prettier and to cover up things that I want to cover up.  I've always been a girly girl.  If I love to be 100, I'll be doing my face and my nails and having my hair done.     Because it's fun!

Yes...my mom is in her late 80’s and puts on some makeup every day, even if she isn’t going anywhere. She looks great, and I’m going to do what she does!
Honored Contributor

@firestorm wrote:

Make-up, hair, etc. are like armor. This goes back a long way in history. 

?????  The only way it's like armor is that good skincare and makeup protects your skin from harmful pollutants!

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't exactly say I embrace my skin and I embrace aging, but I accept it --- what else can you do?? 

I don't use very much makeup as I've gotten older.  But I do feel like I want, and need, to use some things to make myself not only look a bit better, but feel better!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I suppose we all put effort into what we think is important. If I lived in a pristine environment with pristine food, I may go this route.

It isn't what the sellers are telling me that I need and will make me look 40 when I'm 70. It's the environment that I'm doing battle with mostly.

So, I, too, embrace my skin, but within the context of external factors.

Honored Contributor

I can embrace the gray hair.  I can embrace the wrinkles.  I can even embrace the weird spots and growths.  It's "the droop" that brings me down.

The Droop

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

I would never ever have surgery or injections. No electrical device to jolt face muscles.

I do wear makeup when the occasion calls for it.  Just the bare essentials - mainly because I have blotchy skin and wearing a foundation camoflages the spots and gives my complexion a smooth, even-colored appearance.  Eye makeup is optional, but creamy lipstick moisturizes my lips.

I carefully cleanse my skin to get off all makeup and daily oil and goo. I have large pores, but they are spotlessly clean!  Also a Vitamin C serum A.M. and Retinol P.M.  A Ceramide moisturizer.  That's about it.  I believe if I keep my skin (my whole body skin, not just my face) healthy, I will look and feel better. 

Wrinkles and aging happen, but I'm not putting out the Welcome Mat.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@firestorm wrote:

Make-up, hair, etc. are like armor. This goes back a long way in history. 

?????  The only way it's like armor is that good skincare and makeup protects your skin from harmful pollutants!

@Pook Haven't you heard of "bulletproof makeup" (a la Mally)? 🤣

But, seriously, I believe firestorm might have meant that beauty practices are more like a "security blanket" than an actual "armor". I think that reference was probably figurative.

Contributor

@just bee wrote:

I can embrace the gray hair.  I can embrace the wrinkles.  I can even embrace the weird spots and growths.  It's "the droop" that brings me down.

The Droop

Lol!

@just bee !

Respected Contributor

I make sure I use a good moisturizer, nothing expensive, but it keeps my skin hydrated.  I use sunscreen during the day to prevent cancer.  I use a light dusting of Bare Minerals and a Lash enhancer from Peter Lamas.  I'm 65 and want to keep it simple.