Honored Contributor

Re: I Embrace My Skin

[ Edited ]

This is what i think,the best thing you can do for your skin,is sunscreen ,do itr early ,teen age years, all the time, and once you turn 30 ,start retin a,mild percentage, keep up sun screen, from all the stress in my life for 6 yrs, i have aged 20 years, i hate these wrinkles, and yes i was growing up in the 50's ,and 60's, no sunscreen ,so many terrible burns ,blisters and all, the retin a ,i am using ,but i do think once you have the deep wrinkles, it will not help, start caring for your skin early ,my advice.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I take care of my skin (Retin A, etc).  I enjoy makeup and wear it daily during the work week.  At home, I am makeup free.

I like what @SilleeMee said about not going down without a fight. Smiley Happy   I'm all for that!

I don't think I'll be giving up makeup or coloring my hair anytime soon.  I'm in it for the long haul...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I personally don't see anything wrong with embracing aging and wearing make-up! I have a close friend that doesn't wear a stitch of makeup. I've always wanted to sit her down and put some on her! If she wore a bit of makeup would make her look fantastic! And looking fantastic, once in a while, is a good thing. But connecting "embracing you skin" and wearing makeup is a real stretch. 

"Pure Michigan"
Regular Contributor

My mother & grandmother always  wore makeup & took care of their skin so I wouldn't think of doing otherwise.  I remember my grandmother's dressing table with all her Avon products & she would always "put on her face" first thing in the morning.  I know she enjoyed that ritual & so did I when I got to participate.  My skin is a lot more challenged because of frequent trips to the beach before sunscreen so i do as much as I can product wise to improve it & I do believe it has helped.  I still battle age spots but then who doesn't ?  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anonymous032819: FYI................ part of why "we" do the "beauty" things we do, that you say you don't is it makes one more socially acceptable. People respond more positive to good looking, clean, well kept individuals. 

Valued Contributor

It's great if you feel you don't need to use skin care or wear makeup. I, however, feel that I look pale, washed out and even older than I already am without makeup.  I don't wear makeup at home but definitely do when I go out.  I have used sunscreen daily for years and feel that plus retinol and moisturizers have made a difference in the overall appearance of my skin.   I will never look young again but try to look the best I can.

Honored Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

Anonymous032819: FYI................ part of why "we" do the "beauty" things we do, that you say you don't is it makes one more socially acceptable. People respond more postive to good looking, clean, well kept individuals. 

@ahoymate    You can be good looking, clean and well kept without wearing make up. 

I didn’t see the op post anything about not bathing or being sloppy. All she said was she didn’t wear make up. 

Neither do I except for a small amount of foundation as I have a red t zone. 

Your post was pretty rude.

Honored Contributor

I think a person can love themselves, but take care of their skin AND wear makeup too.

I like to wear makeup.  It makes ME feel good.  I enjoy the compliments I get when I hear, "You don't look 72.  I'd have guessed you were 52".  You'd have to be crazy not to enjoy hearing that.

I think everyone should do whatever they want that makes THEM feel good.

I'd never color my hair green but if someone wants to do that, I'd say, "Go for it".  

I don't have many regrets in life but the one I do have is that I didn't take care of my body better.  I should have never gained the weight OR if I did, I should have continued to get it off after each baby.  THAT was my big mistake.  

After the 3rd baby and the many miscarriages, I didn't work at getting back to a more manageable weight.  As many of us know, as we get old(er) it's more difficult to loose weight.

But back to embracing one's skin.  I'm happy that the OP loves herself.  I think we should all love ourselves as long as that doesn't mean we should be critical of anyone who does what he (or she) wants to do to make themselves feel better.

My middle daughter used to say (when she was pretty young) that one day she was going to have big boobs.  We all laughed and said, "OK".  (She was very, very skinny).

Well, she went to work for a plastic surgeon and next thing we knew she had breast implants.  She knew exactly the size and to get them under the muscle, etc (working for the surgeon, she learned something).

She has never had any trouble with them and has been happy since day one.  Funny story about that...but it's for another time.

Anyway, I know we all have seen people who've had so much plastic surgery they look strange (to us).  But if they're happy, well....that's what matters.

There are so many unhappy people (so I keep hearing) in today's world, that when I hear about happy people I say, "I am....well....'happy' for them".

I will say sometimes I suspect some people who don't wear any makeup don't know how to put it on.  Some people are intimidated at applying it.  For some, it's a matter of choice.

I'm basing the above paragraph on the times when I've had women ask me questions about my makeup.  Surprisingly, they are just strangers while we're both looking at the makeup counter.  

They've been questions like, "How do you keep your eyebrows from turning gray?"  Answer, "I use Benefit brow stuff".  "How do you keep from getting wrinkles"?  Answer, "I use a microfiber wash rag with warm water".  Or the one I get asked the most, "Where do you get your hair cut"?  Answer, "It's a wig".

Finally, everyone should love themselves.  Because, after all, we are our own best salespeople.  All through our lives we are selling ourselves to others.  If we are happy on the inside, it will show on the outside.

@ECBG  is a perfect example of a person happy inside and out.  I know her personally and she's amazing.  People are drawn to her because she radiates good feelings.

My guess is there are a lot of people like that here.  That's why I come here....it's fun to converse with so many kind, wonderful people.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is every opinion that isn't yours considered rude proudlyfromnj?

Yes, few can go without makeup etc. 

Honored Contributor

Your post did not come off as rude to me @ahoymate .