Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Can't Find A Good Foundation

@Jordan2 wrote:

I'm fair skinned with cool undertones. I am on what seems to be a lifelong search for the right foundation. I have tried Bare Minerals, Mally. Laura Geller, IT Cosmetics, to name a few. I have used powder, liquid, cream, sticks, etc. It seems whatever color I choose it always looks muddy on me, kind of brown. I would love to find a foundation that matches my skin color, looks like my skin but better. Anyone have any suggestions for me?TIA

@Jordan2 I know the feeling.  When I switched from MAC it was hard for me as well.

Good thing is you have more options than I do:

Marc Jacobs

NARS

Bobbi Brown

Charlotte Tilbury (sp)

Urban Decay

Lorac

Jane Iredale

Kat Von D

Perricone MD

Elizabeth Arden

Stilla

Estee Lauder

Sheisedo

Becca

Hit up the cosmetic counters in your favorite department stores and get samples.  Buy some cotton swabs go home and play.  You can also consult someone at one of those counters for help.  

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

Clinique's line has a good selection for cool undertones. Try the Supernatural foundation if you like a liquid w/a natural finish.

Super Contributor

I'm a long-time user of Merle Norman...........(since 1977)............

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

I have been loving Loreal True Match. But yesterday, I bought the Loreal Infallible Pro-Matte (I have oily skin), and I love that, too!  I like the light weight feeling and non greasy texture.  Right now, they have buy 1 get 1 50% off at Walgreens and at Ulta. You can buy several for less money than one prestige brand foundation and see which color fits you.

@momoftwo2007

Have you used the matching tool on L'Oreal's website?  If so, did you get the shade that you're using?

@just bee

I used the Face Makeup Consultation tool, and it says that I should N3 and that's what I currently have.  I think it is pretty accurate. 

Honored Contributor

Finding a foundation is hard. I would avoid Laura Geller and IT just because their shade options are so limited.

I would recommend going to a department store or a Nordstrom and getting help from a sales associate. Explain your skin type, desired coverage, and needs and then have them help you find a formula and color. Have them swatch until you get the one you think is right and maybe try more than one. Once you find the colors you think work, don't buy them, ask for samples to take home and try. Some colors look good in the store light, but don't look good outside or oxidize and become too dark/orange. Buy something else for their troubles and then come back to buy the foundation when you know you've found the right one.

And consider one more thing  - do you definitely have pink undertones or could you be a neutral? For years I thought that I was fair with pink undertones, but I'm actually a true neutral. That was why I had so much trouble finding colors that worked for me and was always frustrated. Most guides and brands try to push you into cool or warm and it's very confusing if you're a neutral. Once I figured that out, it was much easier to find colors that worked for me.

Esteemed Contributor

Also try

Laura Mercier

Yves St. Laurent

Chanel

Giorgio Armani

Laura Geller

Dior

Le Mer

Tom Ford

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

I have been loving Loreal True Match. But yesterday, I bought the Loreal Infallible Pro-Matte (I have oily skin), and I love that, too!  I like the light weight feeling and non greasy texture.  Right now, they have buy 1 get 1 50% off at Walgreens and at Ulta. You can buy several for less money than one prestige brand foundation and see which color fits you.

@momoftwo2007

Have you used the matching tool on L'Oreal's website?  If so, did you get the shade that you're using?

@just bee

I used the Face Makeup Consultation tool, and it says that I should N3 and that's what I currently have.  I think it is pretty accurate. 

@momoftwo2007

I came up with N4! Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

You remind me of ME!  Used Bare Minerals  forever and suddenly (around 50 yrs. old) I looked dull and dusty.  I went to SEVERAL makeup counters and was shocked at how many different colors different sales associates said were a perfect match for me.

I HOPE, HOPE, HOPE you have a Merle Norman store nearby.  The sales associates give you their complete attention and if they have to try 50 formulas in 50 different colors, they will do so, gladly.

I'm 59 and finally found a foundation I love!  I had never thought of Merle Norman until I saw is recommended here quite a while ago.  My other surprise was their prices.  They are below what you would pay for MAC, Lancome or heaven forbid, Dior.

While you're there, try their lipsticks...LOVELY!

oh...they take returns.  Good Luck!

Honored Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness wrote:

Same issues as you have, including the muddy look.  Tried a lot of brands from high end to drug store.  Most QVCbrands are too yellow or brownish.  And I need more than a tinted moisturizer for coverage.

Can't believe I didn't find a perfect match until 68 yrs old, but there it was - Lancome Teint Idole Ultrawear Makeup Stick, also bought the cushion (liquid) compact later.

I went to our local department store (Yonkers) which had a coupon AND gift w/purchase and got color matched just for the fun of it, they never match me correctly.  When she started swatching on my cheek, there was one we couldn't SEE, and the reason we couldn't see it was because it was a perfect match!  I was floored.

My color happens to be 310 Bisque in the C (Cool) section of their shades.  Both the stick and the cushion go on so smooth, blend so well and have a beautiful finish.  Also go on  easy, fast and actually have buildable coverage without looking cakey.

Love it, check it out, don't think you will be sorry!

@HerRoyaLioness, my choice as well, but my match was to 260 Bisque neutral for medium-light skin.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Go to Nordstroms and try samples of Armani........Luminous silk the bottle last forever as you only need a tiny amount. I have had this bottle a year.........It is amazing.  They are nice to make you samples and if you do not live near a nordstroms call cosmetics and talk to armani and they willl mail you out samples.  Best to you.  It is hard finding a foundation that lasts all day and still looks fresh.  Isabella