Super Contributor

Re: I Can't Find A Good Foundation

I'd recommend Laura Mercier which has excellent foundations and works well for pink undertones.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

Thanks to everyone for all the advice, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I don't have a Sephora near me and the Ulta is not that great. I do have a Macy's so I could go there. As far as the MAC line, I have always shied away from it as I thought it was geared toward women younger than myself.

@Jordan2

I'm 57 and only two foundations have worked for me.  I discovered the first one when I was in my late 30s: bareMinerals.  Changed my life.  Then I turned fifty and it made me look like a day-old glazed donut.  Philosophy's hybrid had just debuted, so I tried that.  Then I tried Paula's Choice tinted moisturizers.  I finally found Lumene at Walgreens and tried the BB cream.  And then I found the one that works: Lumene's CC cream.  Which has just been discontinued.

I'm apoplectic.  The thought of starting over and finding a new foundation is similar to going in for a root canal.  Will it even match my complexion?  Will I look like a tangerine?  Will I break out?

I don't want to spend a lot, either.  I went to Walgreens yesterday and thought I'd just browse.  I still have a tube and a half of my CC cream, but I thought I'd start getting used to the idea of switching.

Have you looked at L'Oreal's site?  You're already two steps ahead: You know you're fair and have cool undertones.  They have a matching tool on the site that is helpful. 

So there I was staring at a wall of foundation, trying to decide if the True Match I was looking at looked like my CC cream.  An older woman came up and told me that she has the same problem: Every time she finds something that works, it's discontinued.  But she's been using L'Oreal's True Match and it works for her.

Then a sales associate approached me and pointed to the No7 display.  It appears that Walgreens has acquired the Boots line (British company) and they have a device in the store that matches your skin shade to a foundation shade.

I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my list of things to do.  I probably will go with one of these lines because they're accessible and reasonably priced.  But do look at True Match.  L'Oreal offers quite a few cool shades.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

I also had a hard time finding foundation being Fair skinned.  I went to Sephora and asked to be matched to DIor Nude liquid foundation.  I have been using it for 5 years now.  

Super Contributor

Merle Norman if you have one near you. Consultants are great. I'm 55 with normal to dry skin and cool undertone. They have a number of different foundations. You don't hear them discussed much but their products are great. I started using them about 6 years ago when a coworker had the prettiesr skin and makeup I'd ever seen. It was Merle Norman.
While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Respected Contributor

I have been loving Loreal True Match. But yesterday, I bought the Loreal Infallible Pro-Matte (I have oily skin), and I love that, too!  I like the light weight feeling and non greasy texture.  Right now, they have buy 1 get 1 50% off at Walgreens and at Ulta. You can buy several for less money than one prestige brand foundation and see which color fits you.

Honored Contributor

I would definitely go to a counter to get color matched, and I think for you it is important to find a brand with more than 4 or 5 shades. I was thinking of MAC or Lancome, or Clinique for vast shade selections. Clinique would probably be the most reasonable, but I feel you really would have to go to the counter  to be matched hopefully with a sales clerk that will take the time to match you correctly. You can always ask for samples and then play around with them at home bfore deciding as well.....Good Luck!

Honored Contributor

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

I have been loving Loreal True Match. But yesterday, I bought the Loreal Infallible Pro-Matte (I have oily skin), and I love that, too!  I like the light weight feeling and non greasy texture.  Right now, they have buy 1 get 1 50% off at Walgreens and at Ulta. You can buy several for less money than one prestige brand foundation and see which color fits you.

@momoftwo2007

Have you used the matching tool on L'Oreal's website?  If so, did you get the shade that you're using?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@MercysMom wrote:
Merle Norman if you have one near you. Consultants are great. I'm 55 with normal to dry skin and cool undertone. They have a number of different foundations. You don't hear them discussed much but their products are great. I started using them about 6 years ago when a coworker had the prettiesr skin and makeup I'd ever seen. It was Merle Norman.

@MercysMom

I have had a Merle Norman that's within walking distance from me and have considered wandering in there many times.  I was interested in their CC cream, but the video on their site makes the product complicated.  I use CC cream because it's a simple all-in-one product.  But the video incorporates other products and that's something I'd like to avoid.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2,  It would be great if you could go to Sephora or Nordstrom and get samples of Laura Mercier, Trish McEvoy, Bobbi Brown, etc.  I use Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer and I love it.  She offers different undertones.  The tinted moisturizer evens out my skintone and if I need extra coverage in a certain area, I use her Secret concealer.  I tried so many different brands before I found my one and only.  Good Luck in your search.

Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Same issues as you have, including the muddy look.  Tried a lot of brands from high end to drug store.  Most QVCbrands are too yellow or brownish.  And I need more than a tinted moisturizer for coverage.

Can't believe I didn't find a perfect match until 68 yrs old, but there it was - Lancome Teint Idole Ultrawear Makeup Stick, also bought the cushion (liquid) compact later.

I went to our local department store (Yonkers) which had a coupon AND gift w/purchase and got color matched just for the fun of it, they never match me correctly.  When she started swatching on my cheek, there was one we couldn't SEE, and the reason we couldn't see it was because it was a perfect match!  I was floored.

My color happens to be 310 Bisque in the C (Cool) section of their shades.  Both the stick and the cushion go on so smooth, blend so well and have a beautiful finish.  Also go on  easy, fast and actually have buildable coverage without looking cakey.

Love it, check it out, don't think you will be sorry!