Honored Contributor

I Burned My Face w/ The Ordinary AHA/BHA Serum :o

It's ok now but last night I used my TO AHA/BHA and left it on for 10 minutes.  This is my 4th time to use it and it's been at least 10 days since the last time. The other times I used it I left it on for 5 minutes with no problems.  I don't feel like I have overly sensitive skin but that extra 5 minutes burned.  Thought I could increase the time...I thought wrong!  Bottle (or website) says 5 to 10 minutes.  Be careful!  

Nearly everything from Tatcha and The Ordinary that I put on my face also gets applied to the back of my hands except the AHA/BHA.  I think I'll give that a try and see what happens.

Respected Contributor

Re: I Burned My Face w/ The Ordinary AHA/BHA Serum :o

[ Edited ]

@monicakm 

I'm sorry that happened to you! Be careful if you go back to using it again.I've never used TO but I'm a Tatcha nut and have nothing but good experiences. just goes to show us that sensitivity can occur at anytime. Once I used NEET hair remover on my leg. It started burning a little too much. I removed it and burned a hole in my leg. It took forever to heal and I have a scar 25 years later.

Honored Contributor

@KBEANS 

OMGosh KBEANS!  A scar from Neet?!  So sorry!  I'm sure you used it as instructed just like I did the AHA/BHA.  I guess this is why "patch tests" are so important but I can honestly say, I've never patch tested anything Smiley Surprised

I just got got done putting the AHA/BHA on the back of my hands (5 minutes).  I followed it with an essence, HA, Niacimamide and RHSO.  Basically anything I put on my face, I put on the back of my hands.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Tatcha!  The only thing I found too harsh for my face was the Classic (white jar) Rice Polish.  I use the Gentle formula.  You know, I'm about to think maybe I DO have sensitive skin afterall Smiley Surprised  I'm somewhat newish to skincare outside of drugstore products.  The Tatcha products I use are the cleansing oil, Rice Wash, Rice Polish, Essence, Water Cream and Dewy Skin Cream.  

You should really consider looking at the TO products.  They have transformed my face!  And to be so inexpensive, it's just too good to be true.  I think the #1 product from TO that I've used is the Niacinamide.  They ALL  (of the products I've used) have a permanent place in my makeup fridge with the exception of the Caffeine solution.  It will take forever to use it all but so far I think any difference I notice is minimal at best.

Honored Contributor

Sorry that happened @monicakm .  I've left it on for 15 to 20 minutes and have had good results.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm 

I am just wondering if you put on anything afterward to calm things down?

Also, I use the Alpha AHA lotion on my hands w/ no problems, but that's only 12%. And the one cuticle gel I have has salicylic acid, where they suggest you leave on for 2 minutes.

Honored Contributor

I've used a 20% AHA product and left it on overnight w/o any problems. But I've been using AHAs for quite some time so that might be why. I just can't use BHAs...those dry my skin out terribly.

Trusted Contributor

Aloe Vera should help for now. 

Honored Contributor

@monicakm  The amount of time to leave an acid product on your skin needs experimentation. It can also vary by what other products you're using, if you're recently exfoliated, for instance, or if your skin has become drier due to seasons changing or age. What worked a few months ago, may need a change now. I usually retest and time acids on the inside of my arm every few months. 

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@monicakm 

I am just wondering if you put on anything afterward to calm things down?

Also, I use the Alpha AHA lotion on my hands w/ no problems, but that's only 12%. And the one cuticle gel I have has salicylic acid, where they suggest you leave on for 2 minutes.

@Harpa  Yes, for some reason, hands seem a little tougher.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa 

Of course I did (and left of anything I thought could aggravate it) but what I should have put on it and didn't think about is cold aloe vera gel.