Honored Contributor

I Am Finally Happy With My Eyebrows

...probably for the first time since I've had to use product on my eyebrows.

I've worn bangs for as long as I can remember.  They're long enough that they go past my eyebrows but they're not solid/thick so you can still see eyebrows.  I know the general rule is two shades lighter than your hair.  Well at two shades lighter and wearing long shaggy/choppy bangs, my eyebrows have been mostly hidden.  I recently order a darker eyebrow gel.  Gemme Brow Gel in Neutral Deep Brown.  FINALLY, I have brows that frame my face and don't disappear behind a curtain of darker bangs!  They match my hair color.  Very happy with the look.  I pulled my bangs back and as I suspected, with a bare forehead they looked too dark.  With choppy/shaggy bangs, they're just the color and depth I needed Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Re: I Am Finally Happy With My Eyebrows

@monicakm wrote:

...probably for the first time since I've had to use product on my eyebrows.

I've worn bangs for as long as I can remember.  They're long enough that they go past my eyebrows but they're not solid/thick so you can still see eyebrows.  I know the general rule is two shades lighter than your hair.  Well at two shades lighter and wearing long shaggy/choppy bangs, my eyebrows have been mostly hidden.  I recently order a darker eyebrow gel.  Gemme Brow Gel in Neutral Deep Brown.  FINALLY, I have brows that frame my face and don't disappear behind a curtain of darker bangs!  They match my hair color.  Very happy with the look.  I pulled my bangs back and as I suspected, with a bare forehead they looked too dark.  With choppy/shaggy bangs, they're just the color and depth I needed Smiley Happy

That is awesome! Eyebrows are so hard. I had mine tinted and laminated a few weeks ago, and I told her I didn't want them standing up, so she kept them more laid down, and I wish they stood up a bit more. Next time, I will go for a little darker and more standing at attention.

Honored Contributor

The hair on my head is naturally very dark brown, almost black. If I go with two shades lighter on my brows wouldn't that look odd? I would have to bleach them to go there.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm  - I've never heard of brows being two shades lighter than hair on your head.  My hair and brows are both the same color.

Honored Contributor

I'm embarrassed!  I thought I'd read years ago they should be 1-2 shades LIGHTER.  It's 1-2 shades DARKER!  No wonder they look better now!

--------------------------------------

Generally, your brows should be one to two shades darker than your hair and less vibrant

-----------------------------------------------

In a study published in the journal Frontiers in Psychology, darker brows were found to make a person look younger, since we seem to (subconsciously) associate defined contrasts in facial features with youth. That makes sense, considering eyebrows do tend to lighten with age.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal 

I'd never heard that either, I just thought I had.  Got it backwards Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

I've always done color that I think looks best. I grew up with honey blonde hair, but my eyebrows were always a tad darker. These days my hair is lighter, but golden toned. Taupe eyebrow color does not look good. So I use medium brown or sometimes a blonde if it's not too taupe-y too. I also have bangs. They are supposed to be sideswept, but they tend to go where they want!  Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

Glad I read the whole thread.  When young brows were same color as my hair.  Now I color it and as the color fades eyebrows are darker.  My cousin had natural blond hair with very dark brown eyebrows.  It made her look like a child who had a mom who bleached her hair.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is a picture of Janipher Hur (Tatcha rep). I've always noticed that her brows are much lighter than her black locks. I think it softens her look but she is also wearing very dark eyeliner which I won't be doing. What do you think about her look? Are her brows too light? I'd like to maybe try a lighter brow but I'm not sure about it yet. I'm also an Asian woman with long black hair.

Janipher Hur (@janipher.hur) TikTok | Watch Janipher Hur's Newest TikTok  Videos

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee ,In my mind ,i picture you looking much like her.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.