Contributor

Hydrating primer for undereye?

[ Edited ]

Hi ladies - you've never steered me wrong, so I'm back to ask for more advice!

I have a relatively wrinkle free face other than under my eyes where a minature representation of the Grand Canyon exists in duplicate. I smile a lot, and the problem is that the more I smile, the more any make up I have on creases and makes the Grand Canyons look even more rugged and super highlights it. I have oily skin except under my eyes where it always looks dehydrated. 

Skin care wise I use: JM Argan Light (the heavy/regular version makes me break out), 100% Pure Eye Balm, and then a sunscreen. Foundation I use IT bye bye redness and MAC mineral foundation powder. I've given up putting a concealer in my undereye area but still the foundation creeps up there however lightly I apply around it.

I've ordered the Eve Pearl TS and also IT BB Undereye Illuminated.

What else can I do to prime the area to resist the creasing of the foundation/concealer? I have a big event for work next week where I will be TV recorded and I'm so scared of having the Grand Canyons upstaging me Smiley Happy

Occasional Contributor

Re: Hydrating primer for undereye?

Try using a loose setting powder to set your concealer. Laura Mercier Secret Brightening, Laura Mercier Translucent, Flower loose powder, elf HD loose powder are some worth checking. Use a fluffy loose brush. It only takes a tiny bit. 

Respected Contributor

I recently ordered a setting powder by the brand By Terry from Beautylish. It's called the Hylauronic Hydra-Powder and it's amazing. Yes, it's very expensive, but I only use it to set my under eye and it takes very little. I just have some crepey (sp?) skin under my eyes. 

Respected Contributor

I have oily skin with very dry under eye area, too. That area starts to look horrendous if the cleanser that I am using is too drying. Even cleansers that claim to be for normal/dry skin aren't always kind. I use argan oil to break down my makeup & the use First Aid Beauty Cleanser to make sure all of my long wear makeup is removed & then I wash, again, to make sure my face is clean. Because, if you wear makeup, part of the problem is finding products that will remove that makeup without drying out or breaking out my skin. Then I use either Mac Mineralize Charged Water Eye Cream or Nuance by Salma Hayek Smoothing Anti Aging Eye Cream. I can use either one for day or night & they give me the moisture that I need in my eye area. I love JM Light Argan Oil to sooth my skin, but I don't find it moisturizing enough for my skin. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow! Amazing tips, thank you so much ladies!

*runs off to buy products*

Respected Contributor

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

Skinn Collageneis Daily Defense Eye Shades

Collagenesis Daily Defense Eye Shades Protectant:

• This remarkable formulation includes soft coral extract (sea whip), beta-glucan (oat extract), aloe and antioxidant vitamin E to help calm, soften and moisturize
  • Illuminating brightening pigments help camouflage those pesky under-eye circles so eyes are not only protected but appear brighter and more rejuvenated!
  • Very light botanical scent, not very apparent
  • Thick, creamy texture
  • Comes in a squeeze bottle with cap
Trusted Contributor

@Phelina,

Well, here's my two cents for what it's worth.

You need to add a moisturizer to the eye area that contains ceramides and hyaluronic acid or other humectants.  Humectants are skin identical/skin repairing ingredients that help keep skin smooth, retain moisture and repair the skin's outer and inner barrier structure.  Humectants have the ability to attract, absorb and hold water from nearby sources, like the deeper layers of your skin and, in very humid climates, the air.  Applying humectant ingredients to the surface layers of your skin provides much needed moisture, and because most humectant molecules have the ability to hold more than their weight in water, you'll also benefit from a short term plumping effect that visibly smooths out fine lines and lessens the intensity of deep wrinkles.  Consistent use of humectant-moisturizing ingredients can also slow the development of wrinkles in the long term.  Examples of humectant ingredients include aloe, honey, hyaluronic acid, and glycerin.  If you want your wrinkles to be plumped up, you need to use humectants.

You 100% Pure Eye Balm looks like it's mostly a variety of plant oils and extracts but I didn't see any ceramides, hyaluronic acid or other humectants.  An eye cream formulated with mostly occlusives and emollients isn't going to be able to perform the skin plumping action of humectants.

An inexpensive drugstore lotion that has ceramides and hyaluronic acid is CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion.  I put a layer of this under my wrinkly undereyes, let it sit for a few minutes, then blot off any excess before applying concealer.  It really does help to plump up the skin.  But, there are tons of eye/face creams on the market with humectants, you just need to become an ingredient detective and start reading ingredient lists before you purchase the product.

I also agree with everyone else that recommended using a very finely milled setting powder, like Maybelline Master Fix loose powder, under the eyes to set foundation/concealer.  It only takes a tiny, tiny bit and will help with the creasing...it won't stop it completely, but it sure does help.  Alot.

And personally, I would stay far away from any kind of illuminating concealer if you are dealing with under eye wrinkles.  Illuminating finishes are great if you have perfectly smooth skin but only serve to highlight skin imperfections like wrinkles and uneven skin texture. 

Contributor

Thank you so much @River Song for such a detailed and well informed reply - definitely most appreciated! And that you took the time to look up the products I use.

I guess i was relying on the eye balm (which they claim that "Pine bark enhances the skin elasticity and hydration. It is the only natural supplement that stimulates hyaluronic acid production in skin.") But I love the idea of just plumping the area up in the morning, I had never thought to do that, and just wipe off the excess.

Well darn, about the illuminator, I thought that was going to help and its already en route here, so I guess it will go back shortly too.

thanks again!