Esteemed Contributor

Hyaluronic Acid

[ Edited ]

I watched a video of Dr. Shereene Idris where myths about hyaluronic acid are debunked. The video was made in 2021, but I just found it.

According to Dr. Idris, hyaluronic acid is overrated. It has its benefits, but is not good if used too often. It's not hydrating or calming, can even cause some irritation. Almost every product has HA in it, so the best thing to not overdo treatments. You only need one product with HA in it, if that's what you inisist upon. 

The main use of HA is for healing, not anti ageing.

The name of Dr. Idris's video is "Let's get intimate: hyaluronic acid." Very interesting and informative.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

The best way to use topical HA is to apply it with an occlusive. Also, whenever HA is used it will increase moisture levels on the surface of the skin which in turn will allow for other ingredient to become hyper-absorbed and that might not be a good thing for some people who have sensitivity issues with certain types of those ingredients. 

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw 

I love her!

I've seen the video.  It's important to use HA over some sort of moisture (in my case an essence) or it will pull the moisture out of your skin.  Same if  you live in a very dry climate (I can only wish!).  I have stopped using it since my other products include HA.  Stopped using Niacinamide too since, again, so many of my products have that ingredient too.  But I've started using it again.  It's the ingredient that started my skincare journey and I just feel better (right or wrong) including it in my routine.

Honored Contributor

I've been taking an oral HA supplement for a long time and started using a topical serum about 3 months ago.  I love the way it feels.  I'm not educated enough to give a factual or scientific answer, but my perception is that I think it's working in sync with my essence in adding to the hydration of my skin, plumping up the surface, and enhancing the effectiveness of my follow up serums and moisturizer.  At 65, I don't pretend to be wrinkle free, but I'm doing pretty good.  

Esteemed Contributor

Our bodies can make HA. I've been reading how magnesium helps in this process.

I do not really seek out HA in my skincare [as a main ingredient], but I do take it as a supplement, more for joint suppleness than anything, along w/ extra magnesium.

(Sometimes I think people put a bandaid on the problem, but never really address the problem. I'm referring to topical v. internal applications.)

In any event, I've also been reading about studies that conclude that both topical & oral supplements promote skin hydration & smooth skin.

Honored Contributor

You're right @JeanLouiseFinch , it's doing exactly what you said.  I just use so many products that all have HA in them.  I've been thinking about  introducing an oral HA tho.  I take an oral niacinamide.  

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

You're right @JeanLouiseFinch , it's doing exactly what you said.  I just use so many products that all have HA in them.  I've been thinking about  introducing an oral HA tho.  I take an oral niacinamide.  

@monicakm  So do I.  I also take MSM.  It's good for a lot of things, including skins and hair, 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

There are so many health supplements that cause me swelling problems.  I have to really check ALL the ingredients.  Seems like MSM is one of them OR there is an ingredient that is always included in MSM supplements that cause me issues.