Valued Contributor

Re: Hunting for SPF that does not contribute to acne

wrote:

I have worn Elta MD tinted SPF41 for several years now without any acne problems. It has a very light tint so no worries about being the right color. My dermatologist even uses this herself. 

I second the Elta MD.  I have been searching for years for a sunscreen that doesn't make me greasy,  looks nice under my makeup and doesn't sting when I apply it.  I generally can't wear chemical sunscreens.  For years, I used Paula's Choice Resist sunscreen for oily skin; it worked well, but not as well as I liked.  I finally tried Elta MD Clear tinted which, I believe, is SPF 46.  It's a combination of both chemical and physical sunscreen and there's no stinging.  It's specifically made for oily, acne-prone skin. It's awesome!  Read the reviews - they're stellar!

Respected Contributor

I am noting all these suggestions for myself. Thanks @shy bobcat for staring this thread.  The Neutrogena ones do NOT work for me. I need to look into the Paula's Choice, Elta MD, Josie Marian, and Laroche Posay options!

Respected Contributor

@shy bobcat

You may want to try some of the Asian sunscreens as they are much lighter and non-greasy. They use different filters that haven't been approved here yet and they'r so much nicer to use on the face. Two that I have tried and love are Nivea water gel and Biore watery essence. They're both SPF 50.

Valued Contributor

@Trix

I have used Neutrogena Clear Face in the past.  Perhaps I need to give it another try or maybe Josie Maran's SPF. Thank you.

Valued Contributor

Thank you, thank you all for your thoughts and recommendations.  I will try what you have suggested in my search for an SPF that suits me and my skin. 

Frequent Contributor

Another Elta MD user here.  Have repurchased it many times.  I have luck finding it on Costco online certain times of the year.

Super Contributor

wrote:

I have used Neutrogena and Paula"s Choice, preferring Paula's Choice.  I do not want to go without SPF but, acne is a bummer.  Is the solution in my washing process?

I recommend Devita Solar Protective Moisturizer SPF 30+! The creator made it for herself as she had acne prone skin. I have never broken out from it. I also use IT Cosmetics CC Cream during the day which has SPF50 and have not broken out either. And I can get those cystic, painful pimples. My skin has been clear for two years since incorporating these products into my skincare routine. No more heavy SPF for me! I live in AZ and really need to wear it all the time.

Honored Contributor

Have you tried the Neutrogena  Clear Face version?  HIghly recommend.