Valued Contributor

Hunting for SPF that does not contribute to acne

I have used Neutrogena and Paula"s Choice, preferring Paula's Choice.  I do not want to go without SPF but, acne is a bummer.  Is the solution in my washing process?

Respected Contributor

Re: Hunting for SPF that does not contribute to acne

Living at the beach in summer, it was imperative that I find a sunscreen for my face that didn't break me out. Every one I tried (about 10) that was specifically made for the face left me with big breakouts. I decided to try Josie Marans sunscreen and haven't looked back. I wear it all day, every day during the summer and replace throughout the day if I am going to be outside. No, it's not oily but heavier than a moisturizer because it's sunscreen. Not one breakout in two years of use. And yes, I had pimples and oily skin throughout my adult life. This one worked for me. Also, I invested in a Clarisonic and that was a turning point for my skin actually.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shy bobcat May I ask which Neutrogena sunscreen you used. They have several and the which would be geared for your acne-prone skintype is Clear Face.  Clear Face is available in 30 or 55 spf formulas.  I'm sure you will get suggestions, but the excellent Clear Face is the best sunscreen I know of for acne-prone skin.  It has been  my personal go to for several years.  Finally in my mid-60s my skin has slowed down with acne outbreaks, but I still prefer Clear Face as my facial sunscreen because most of the others tend to cause break outs on my face. 

I like Josie Maran's Protect & Perfect, and I've never had a break out reaction from it,  but for recommending to someone else Clear Face would be my first choice.

Super Contributor

I have worn Elta MD tinted SPF41 for several years now without any acne problems. It has a very light tint so no worries about being the right color. My dermatologist even uses this herself. 

Honored Contributor

@shy bobcat

My HG of sunscreen is LaRoche-Posay 50+ cream Anthelios. No zits

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

ITA with @shy bobcat and @kwkelley recommendations.  

Valued Contributor

For years, I used DML, a wonderful moisturizer with sunscreen.  I never could use moisturizers without breaking out, so I was delighted. DML also included hyaluronic acid,  not widely nown then.  It is noncomedogenic, so I never had problems.   It is harder to find now, so I suspect it is being phased out or will be marketed at a higher price. 

However, I tried Josie Maran's SPF lotion.  I think it's great.  Some people stated it is too white, but I find that it gets absorbed.        

Started with sunscreen at 38 years of age, and it has paid off.   

Valued Contributor

I would also like to know the answer, and would love to find a cruelty free and vegan formula.  Anyone know?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would think chemical free spf would be healthy for the surface of the skin- since it's healthier overall. Honest sunscreen contains only zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. Many baby sunscreens have a similar mix. Most often I use celebration foundation - only zinc oxide and titanium dioxide as well.

Frequent Contributor

shy bobcat,

I do think that not getting all your sunscreen removed can sometimes contribute to acne. I do believe that more importantly than that, is a daily use of BHA. I don't go a day without it. I have very acne prone skin, and have tried other sunscreens, including Paula's Choice, and have found BHA to be the one thing that really makes the difference. I do wash my face daily, and do a double cleanse at night, now that I use the particular ELDW, but before I did not do a double cleanse.