Contributor

Huge time saver cleaning makeup brushes and sponges / Silicone Mats, Mittens, Pads

After seeing it on YouTube I purhased a silicone pad to clean my makeup brushes...major time saver, I cleaned all my brushes and Beauty Blender in half the time.

Real Techniques, Sigma and Sonya Kashuk sell them, they are basically a textured silicone pad. I use Castille soap but instead of swirling the brush in the palm of my hand I swirled the brush (gently) on the silicone pad.

Works like a charm on brushes and beauty sponges. Gentle though, I shredded the first sponge but noticed makeup stains were dissapreaing much more than they did before.

Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Huge time saver cleaning makeup brushes and sponges / Silicone Mats, Mittens, Pads

I love my Real Techniques Cleansing Palette. What a difference in my brushes from what I was previously doing. I also like their cleansing gel. 

Contributor

Re: Huge time saver cleaning makeup brushes and sponges / Silicone Mats, Mittens, Pads

[ Edited ]

I am just so thrilled, better results in half the time. I wish I had known sooner......

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @Cabrio

Hmm, I wonder if I could use my Leaf cleaning device (without turning it on) to do the same thing?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

My DD is a beauty junkie, I  purchased a kit for her for Christmas from the Sigma site.  I think Q sold it but it sold out quickly.   

There was brush shampoo and this tower.   The sides are silicone.   After rinsing, the top loop holds the handle and the bottom black loop holds the bristles while drying.   She loves it.   The tower can come apart for cleaning or traveling.

sigma.jpg

Trusted Contributor

I've been using this set I found at Big Lots. The cleanser is made in Korea.

brush cleaner.JPG

Honored Contributor

I have one of those too, but the best brush cleaner ever, is the one by that  cone shape make up sponge--geez, the name just left my brain..... Man, that does a fantastic job on brushes. And the little silicone thing works well too.

Honored Contributor

I've seen some of these at Marshall's and couldn't decide whether to get one???  I also have been looking for a brush cleanser or shampoo which is fragrance free and can't find one.  Does everyone use a special cleanser -- or do you just use your facial cleanser or soap?  I am worried about ruining a couple half decent brushes I have.  Also, I find the drying thing is problematic.  Wbere do you put the darn things so they dry and are not in the way?  I know you are not supposed to dry them standing up, but laying down so the glue doesn't get wet.  Thanks 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1wrote:

I've seen some of these at Marshall's and couldn't decide whether to get one???  I also have been looking for a brush cleanser or shampoo which is fragrance free and can't find one.  Does everyone use a special cleanser -- or do you just use your facial cleanser or soap?  I am worried about ruining a couple half decent brushes I have.  Also, I find the drying thing is problematic.  Wbere do you put the darn things so they dry and are not in the way?  I know you are not supposed to dry them standing up, but laying down so the glue doesn't get wet.  Thanks 

@AngelPuppy1 Yes, I bought mine from Marshall's, too.  it is well worth it.  I have a big one, maybe about 7X7 inches.

I just use my facial cleansers for brush cleansers.  I figured that since some residues might end up on my face, I might as well use something that is face-friendly.  

And then I place a towel by the edge my bath tub, and then dry them flat on the towel.

Honored Contributor

@wagirlwrote:

I have one of those too, but the best brush cleaner ever, is the one by that  cone shape make up sponge--geez, the name just left my brain..... Man, that does a fantastic job on brushes. And the little silicone thing works well too.

@wagirl are you thinking of the Beauty Blender sponge?