Honored Contributor

Huge Knot in the back of my hair

I am couch bound these days recovering from a broken hip and I have a huge knot in the back of my shoulder length hair, Husband says cut it and I will not. ANy suggestions for getting rid of it. thanks all

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: Huge Knot in the back of my hair

So sorry to hear you are laid up!

Do you have any oil products?  Hair oils, creams, detanglers?

I wouldn't cut it either....but use even EVOO and work it out gently with a very large tooth comb.

Hopefully you can, then get all your hair pinned UP to prevent another snag.

Best luck!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Try a detangler - spray heavily. There are brushes sold in hair salons and Target that have the  plastic  prongs set wide apart that are great for detangling . It will take time and patience , but better remedy than cutting.

Trusted Contributor

Do you have a regular stylist that might come to the house to help you out getting rid of the knot? I broke my shoulder and was unable to do anything with my shoulder length hair and asked my stylist for help. She came to the house and did french braids for me. I fumbled thru with those until I could once again care for my hair.

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Honored Contributor

@We rescue cats  There is no hair dresser around here, I tired that when I broke my other hip.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would try everything before resorting to cutting. If nothing works, use a salon quality pair of scissors. You can find these at Sally Beauty for a reasonable price. Open the scissors so that one blade can saw through the knot. This sawing is done parallel to the hair, not across it. After to or three strategically placed piercings of the knot, try using a broad tooth comb to get the knot to ease loose. Do more sawings if necessary.

This is a trick I learned to get knots out of my Coton de Tulear babies. They have real hair just like us. While they were wearing a show coat, I would sometimes find a knot. It worked on them with little hair loss.

Honored Contributor

Would Vaseline work,or a oil have hubby do it?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

@I am still oxox I meant to add that I'm sorry for your trouble right now and hope you are back health soon. I would try a detangler and lots of patience (of which I have none!). 

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Honored Contributor

I hope you can get the knot out soon and then after you do that I would brush/comb your hair as much as possible to help prevent that from happening again. Maybe even consider wearing a sleep cap to help keep your hair from getting tangled while you're laying down. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@We rescue cats  There is no hair dresser around here, I tired that when I broke my other hip.

OUCH! I am SO SORRY to hear that you broke your other hip previously. Please be careful.

It seems like you had so helpful ideas to help detangle your hair. I heard that this brush was a game changer.

Hypnotic Heather