Contributor

How would you handle a botched hair cut?

My normal stylist was not in and another girl at the same salon cut my hair. I explained to her how difficult my baby fine hair is, I did not want a short cut, just to trim up my inverted bob hairstyle. The results were awful and I refused to be seen in public looking like that. My hair is so short in the back I can't get a mini velcro roller in it! I have cried for over 24 hours. It may be silly to some that I am this upset but I can't stop sobbing. Another stylish had to re-wash and re-style my hair and it looked a lot better but the cut is still too short. My hair tends to split in the back at the crown and I explained to this person that I did not want it too short there so I can cover that area well so my scape won't show through, my hair is no more than 1/2" in the crown, my scalp is showing through where it splits in the back. The receptionist was very apologetic and refunded my money and told me I could have free haircuts (nothing to cut now!). I am so upset that I took the day off of work! I tried to call the manager this morning but she will not be in until later today. How would you handle this? Please don't bash me, I am already upset enough!

Contributor

Re: How would you handle a botched hair cut?

I realize this is from a few years ago and I am sure your hair has grown back by now. I have a habit of never taking my eyes off the mirrior and always watch what the stylist is doing. Sorry about the bad cut, believe me, you are not the only one that has cried. Good thing hair grows back.
Honored Contributor

I am not sure what you want?  If your money was refunded and free haircuts were offered there is not much more the salon can do.  Perhaps you should wear a wig until your hair grows out.  Believe me, I know it is difficult as I recently experienced my hair being cut too short.  It looks good now 3-1/2 weeks later.  My cut was very good but just too short for my liking. 

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Why is this topic from 2012 being discussed? Surely by now her hair has grown out. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Seriously, a thread from 2012?

I feel bad for the original poster tho as no one here

acknowledged her hardship. Probably made her feel even worse.

Honored Contributor

Several years ago, my mom wanted to treat me to a haircut for taking care of her while she was ill.
My beautiful aunt went to a local salon, so off I went.
The stylist was very quiet, listened (I thought) to what I wanted, went to work.
She cut and cut and cut and cut. I finally asked her some innocuous question and came to find out that her dearest cousin had died a couple weeks before in a local tragedy.
Then she seemed to forget she was cutting my hair, started to cry, but kept cutting and cutting and cutting and cutting.
When I left I had very little hair left, but I gave her a donation to her cousin's memorial fund and the tip. We hugged and I wished her well.
I never had a reason to go back, but I hoped that my hair, which always grew back, had given her something to think about besides her misery.
I already knew that nobody I knew and loved would care whether my hair was long or short.
And they didn't.
Honored Contributor

Yes I realize this post began several years ago but I wear my hair in an inverted bob. I really don't get why she thought her hair was "botched"? The way she described how short the back was is the style I ask for! I certainly don't think I look like I wear a "botched" hairstyle! Oh well.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bellamay wrote:
I realize this is from a few years ago and I am sure your hair has grown back by now. I have a habit of never taking my eyes off the mirrior and always watch what the stylist is doing. Sorry about the bad cut, believe me, you are not the only one that has cried. Good thing hair grows back.

Exactly.

It seems that no one ever takes any responsibility for not paying enough attention.

But I do feel empathy for the OP.

And when you tell the hairdresser to please trim or cut a certain amount, you must actually reduce it as they always take more.  

Meaning, their view of what a measurement is and yours will differ.

For example. when I wish to have just a 1/2" trimmed, I always say 1/4 ".

Honored Contributor

An "inverted bob" hairstyle,  for those of you who - like me - need a visual:

wkwu58zrw0vsuatm_l.jpg (111×140)

tns0-157980829d4.jpg (180×135)