Respected Contributor

How to make the bottom of your hair stay curled/bounce bump?

Does that make sense? Haha

I'm wearing my hair sorta straight but take a round style blow dryer then round style brush to my ends and it bounces under, I like it BUT it stays for about 2 hours and then it just comes out and my hair looks like ...cr.ap.

I do hair spray it a little but don't plaster it.

How do I make that stay?

Hair is about 3" past shoulders.

Regular Contributor

Re: How to make the bottom of your hair stay curled/bounce bump?

Do you use any styling products in your hair prior to styling?   I use WEN styling cream and mousse and my hair stays at least that day and sometimes into the next.   I use a flatiron though,  not a blowdryer.

I'm sure any brand mousse or styljng cream would work

Respected Contributor

@butterflygirl69 wrote:

Do you use any styling products in your hair prior to styling?   I use WEN styling cream and mousse and my hair stays at least that day and sometimes into the next.   I use a flatiron though,  not a blowdryer.

I'm sure any brand mousse or styljng cream would work

I use the WEN styling cream and the spary, not the mouse. I also use Style Prep by Aveda. I have a flat iron, I suppose I could try that, I am using a round style with heat but I have to really hold it there to get those ends to tuck under which I hate using that much heat but I do use like 3 diff. heat protectors so my hair stays healthy Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Start with a good cut! I believe my stylist 'layers' the bottom inches of my hair. ("Layering" may not be the correct term for it, but its not a blunt cut.)  Just a little layering could help that hair curl in and hold. Good styling products should help hold it, but especially if you don't naturally have some wave in your hair, you'll need the cut to help out (imo.)  If you do get a new trim on the ends of your hair, tell your stylist to go easy, you don't want everything layered! Smiley Happy Just enough to make the ends curl up. I'm sure they will know what to do.

Esteemed Contributor

I've found that blasting the curl with the cool setting from my blow dryer after heating with the round brush can help set the curl.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cerinthe wrote:

Start with a good cut! I believe my stylist 'layers' the bottom inches of my hair. ("Layering" may not be the correct term for it, but its not a blunt cut.)  Just a little layering could help that hair curl in and hold. Good styling products should help hold it, but especially if you don't naturally have some wave in your hair, you'll need the cut to help out (imo.)  If you do get a new trim on the ends of your hair, tell your stylist to go easy, you don't want everything layered! Smiley Happy Just enough to make the ends curl up. I'm sure they will know what to do.

It's called point-cutting.

The scissors are held vertically, then the hairdresser snips into  the blunt ends.

After my trim, I have that done to help boost my fine hair's volume.

It's kind of like 'lightening' the weight a bit.

In case this helps, my hair is medium-length (about 2-3" past my shoulders) with angled face-framing layers that start at my chin.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I NEVER curl the ends with anything hot, as it will just split my ends.

My hair has grown almost to my waist, only because I stopped "frying" the ends.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Super Contributor

My hair is same length, I have it layered all over, and just flat iron, then curl the ends with a 1 and 1/4 inch curling iron and spray!  I do use some mousse and styling serum when I blow dry the night before.

Respected Contributor

@ladygirl  I do have the ends layered, I actually just got a great cut about 2 weeks ago, the cut is what inspired me to try and do it straight with some bounce at the end, well it's not quite bouncing.... but, I guess I'll keep trying.

I do have a 1 1/4" curling I ron I can dig out and I of course of a straightening iron.

I use 2-3 diff. type of heat treatments on my hair - One before I blow dry and one/two b4 I curl and normally I can go 6 months w/out a cut and just very mild split ends.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SandGirl wrote:

@ladygirl  I do have the ends layered, I actually just got a great cut about 2 weeks ago, the cut is what inspired me to try and do it straight with some bounce at the end, well it's not quite bouncing.... but, I guess I'll keep trying.

I do have a 1 1/4" curling I ron I can dig out and I of course of a straightening iron.

I use 2-3 diff. type of heat treatments on my hair - One before I blow dry and one/two b4 I curl and normally I can go 6 months w/out a cut and just very mild split ends.

This may be contributing to your problem of getting the curl to last - too much product..

WEN Styling Creme acts as a heat protectant as well as a styling product.  Cocktail with with some WEN Volumizing Treatment Spray (don't overdo it) and apply to wet hair.  After taking the towel off your head use a little mousse on the bottom half (apply starting at the bottom and work upwards - don't get it on the top of your head).  I agree with using heat on your blowdryer, to create the bend/curl, but then switching to cool to lock it in - do it with every section as you go around your head.  Only brush/comb to finish your style after your hair is completely cool.  Use a little finishing hairspray to hold the look.

***ETA - if you need a little lift on the top, start out by flipping your head upside-down and blowdry until your hair is dry at the scalp but still damp on the length.  Then flip your head back up and start working your way around on the length.