Valued Contributor

How to handle the frizzies...

Hi all. I am finding that I am getting some frizziness to my curls after an overnight treatment of the oils and also after doing a remoist treatment. Anyone find that with their hair as well? If so, what do you do to get it under control? I am doing the oils overnight and then cleansing as usual the next day, using 1 pump of CC as a leave in, 2 pumps of SC and between 6 to 9 pumps of the mousse. After remoists, I am just rinsing out and using the same products as after a cleanse. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: How to handle the frizzies...

Do you not get frizz if you skip the oil treatment or ReMoist? I haven't been able to completely combat my natural frizz with just WEN products unfortunately (and I have tried most). I need a gel too, with DevaCurl being my current favorite.

Sorry I can't be more help, but hopefully someone else will have an answer for you!

Honored Contributor

I gave up on the WEN styling products because they did nothing to prevent my frizz. I use everything else, but none of those. I haven't noticed my frizz getting worse after an overnight oil or Remoist treatment, but my hair is frizz-prone and I've had to make changes to deal with it.

My first suggestion is to use an old t-shirt (or a new one - doesn't matter) to blot your hair dry after a shower. I used to use a microfiber towel, but even that pulled at my cuticle some and caused frizz, though much less than a traditional towel. You can also use a flour sack towel, but t-shirts are softer and I already have a lot of them.

My second suggestion is to switch to curly-specific styling products. My holy grail item is Curl Keeper, by Curly Hair Solutions. It's kept my hair frizz-free in 90%+ humidity. I also like Ouidad and DevaCurl gels. Ouidad's Climate Control Gel earned me a compliment from a stranger on a day so hot and humid that leaving any building to go outside caused my glasses to instantly fog up.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for your responses. WenGirl - I am noticing that I get a bit of frizziness even when I don't use the oils/remoist as well. When I first used WEN, the styling products were working well, and my ringlets were well defined. But now, not so much. I have been using WEN for about a month now and trying the different CC's, so I am not ready to give up on the styling products yet. But I will keep yours and Chynna's suggestions in mind - thank you - very helpful!

Occasional Contributor

i have noticed that if i don't use cold water my hair does fizz and it doesn't feel right. It is not as smooth as it should be..... maybe go a little bit colder with the water... i don't wash my hair is the shower, because of the cold water, but when i do it in the sink it is much better..... and i do not towel dry my hair.... yes, my shirt be wet, but i want great hair{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Contributor

Remoist makes my hair frizzy. The oils as a treatment do nothing for my hair, sometimes make me itchy.

This is what works for me --- CC Fig, with a little bit of 613, Fig and 613 styling cream, Guarnier leave in smoothing conditioner, Pom serum, fig/TT oil --- all used in that order.

Don't squeeze or scrunch your hair when wet. Only press your hair to your head.

Then two or three blots with a microfiber rag from Costco. I finish up with LA Looks sports gel and a little bit of Pom mousse.

I plop up my hair for 15 - 30 minutes in a rayon cloth, could use a t-shirt also. Don't touch your hair again until it is completely dry. I always and only air dry. Works every time.

Honored Contributor

Plopping, for anyone who hasn't heard of it, means wrapping your hair up in a t-shirt or no-frizz towel for 20 minutes or so to help form the curls. Here's a picture and link with a directions and a video.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/to-plop-or-not-to-plop/

Plopping illustration

Valued Contributor

On 4/23/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

Plopping, for anyone who hasn't heard of it, means wrapping your hair up in a t-shirt or no-frizz towel for 20 minutes or so to help form the curls. Here's a picture and link with a directions and a video.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/to-plop-or-not-to-plop/

Plopping illustration

Thank you for this! I'm getting ready to shower and I'm going to try this!
Love my Wen, Love my Animals! God Bless You All!
Honored Contributor

On 4/23/2014 starshadee said:

i have noticed that if i don't use cold water my hair does fizz and it doesn't feel right. It is not as smooth as it should be..... maybe go a little bit colder with the water... i don't wash my hair is the shower, because of the cold water, but when i do it in the sink it is much better..... and i do not towel dry my hair.... yes, my shirt be wet, but i want great hair{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Chaz recommends using cold water to cleanse your hair. I do my best to keep the water on the cooler side. When I finish cleansing my hair, I give my hair and scalp a quick cold water treatment to close the hair cuticles. Hopefully, this helps reduce frizziness. I also blot dry my hair with an old, 100% cotton t-shirt (again, to avoid roughing up my hair).

-- bebe Smile

Valued Contributor

On 4/24/2014 bebe777 said:
On 4/23/2014 starshadee said:

Chaz recommends using cold water to cleanse your hair. I do my best to keep the water on the cooler side. When I finish cleansing my hair, I give my hair and scalp a quick cold water treatment to close the hair cuticles. Hopefully, this helps reduce frizziness. I also blot dry my hair with an old, 100% cotton t-shirt (again, to avoid roughing up my hair).

-- bebe Smile

Same here - and I notice the cc's "bloom" better with cooler water. I use a cotton t-shirt, also - much easier on the hair.