Valued Contributor

How to fix sticky rubber on make up brushes

I have some Real Technique make up brushes that I love with rubber on the handles that is now sticky. 

Has anyone had this issue and have you been able to fix it or do I need to throw away the brushes?

Honored Contributor

Re: How to fix sticky rubber on make up brushes

@smileshannon 

Same here.  I've never figured out how to get them unsticky, so I figure by that time they are old enough to replace.  Good thing about Real Techniques is they are more economical to replace.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

There's a coating which wears off after a while and then that leaves the sticky rubber exposed. You can try wiping the handles with rubbing alcohol and a rag (plan to throw the rag away b/c it will have residue). You might have to wipe the handles down more than once until the sticky residue is removed. But if that doesn't work then just wrap the handles with some kind of tape.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@smileshannon @SurferWife I used Goof Off to clean the rubber handles on mine, came clean in a nifty second! Like new. Worked on expensive or cheap brushes alike!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

I used Goof Off to clean the rubber handles on mine, came clean in a nifty second! Like new. Worked on expensive or cheap brushes alike!

@Jacie 

Good idea!! 

Valued Contributor

ooohhh I'll try that! Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

@Jacie I need to use this on my umbrella handle.  I don't think I threw it out yet.   Thanks

Respected Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

@smileshannon @SurferWife I used Goof Off to clean the rubber handles on mine, came clean in a nifty second! Like new. Worked on expensive or cheap brushes alike!

@Jacie  BRILLIANT!   That happens to me with some bottles with dropper tops, like JM argon oil.   I hate when it happens.  Never thought of Goof Off.   THANK YOU>

Honored Contributor

Thanks, everyone!   First time I heard of it...

♥Surface of the Sun♥