Honored Contributor

How to choose the most flattering eyeglasses for yo'self

a.k.a.,

yet another PSA from moi. {#emotions_dlg.blushing}

HTH 8)

The best eyeglasses for your face shape

The best eyeglasses for your face shape

STYLEIST.COM STAFF | 8.31.2014

If you're a glasses wearer, you know that the frames can completely make or break your look. We get it!
They may be essential for your eyesight, but they're an accessory all the same. So choosing correctly is extremely important.

There are lots of factors to base your choice on, including your personal style and coloring (eyes, skin, hair) -- but perhaps the most universal is your face shape.
Here's an easy way to figure out yours:
Put your hair up in a ponytail or scrape it back from your face.
Using either a dry erase marker, lipstick, or a corner of a bar of soap, trace your face in the mirror.
Step back and take a look at the shape.
There are five basic shape categories that most of us fall into. If you don't fit one perfectly, go for the one that is closest to your shape. As with any body feature, there are all kinds of variations.
For those with a square face shape (see Jen, above), be sure to avoid glasses with hard lines that might make your face look boxy. Co-Founder and Co-CEO of 'Warby Parker' Neil Blumenthal told us that "a frame that is wider than the widest part of the face helps to balance the proportion of a square face."

Heart-shaped faces, those with a chin much narrower than their forehead, need to find shapes that balance the width of their face. Blumenthal suggests trying to "minimize width at the top of the face" by choosing frames that widen at the bottom.
Oval faces are the luckiest, as they can pull off almost any style. You may want to balance the curve of your face, so choose square, rectangle or up-swept glasses to balance your face.

Oblong, or long face shapes, will see much more length than width. You'll want to choose frames that are larger, to break up the length of your face.
Those with round faces will want to choose frames that add angles, are structured and slim. Lenses that are wider than they are deep, as well as those with dark frames help define a round face.

A final thought -- and all-around good advice -- Blumenthal told us that "for eyewear in general, juxtapositions work best: the more angular your features, the rounder your glasses should be and vice versa."
Super Contributor

Re: How to choose the most flattering eyeglasses for yo'self

The best thing is to take a friend that will actually give you advice. My eye doctor's assistants are so awesome - they love to do this and will help you as long as it takes. I always bring them coffee

Honored Contributor

I have easier advice. Go to Lenscrafters, try on eyeglasses till you find the ones that look the best, walla! you are done!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

On 9/1/2014 sun8shine said:

The best thing is to take a friend that will actually give you advice. My eye doctor's assistants are so awesome - they love to do this and will help you as long as it takes. I always bring them coffee Cool

Some people actually don't have a friend or family member that they can take along. Plus, not every opthalmologist/optometrist/optician has "awesome" assistants.

And since some people can't even get to a B & M eyewear store, online vendors like "Warby Parker' (the original, who also have B&M locations) have a terrific "Home Try-On" service.

This is also great for those who would rather have the convenience & privacy of trying on eyeglasses at home.

And then they can even send photos to people whose opinion they respect, if they wish.

Nice of you to bring 'your helpers' coffee. 8-)

Contributor

I agree with sun8shine. Having someone there with you to give an HONEST opinion is best!. I have been going to the same place for my eye care for 15 years. The girls there are like family to me, and have never steered me wrong. I am creature of habit and have had the same style of frames (rectangle) for years. Last year I found my rectangle frames in Olive Green metal... loved them!. This year I went out of my comfort zone and tried different shape, little smaller in size than the photo above, but still in the olive green color. Have had nothing but compliments on them!. Once in a while I stop in to get them cleaned and drop off Bigby coffee for the crew ... a little "just because". All is good! Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

On 9/1/2014 ID2 said:

I have easier advice. Go to Lenscrafters, try on eyeglasses till you find the ones that look the best, walla! you are done!

Some people prefer to DIY, though.

And there are plenty who've always wanted to know what they're face shape is.

It helps to know your face shape and which frames to check out before you go to a B&M eyewear store.

That way, you won't spend an hour or longer trying on tons of frames.

Honored Contributor

On 9/1/2014 Domestic Goddess said:
I agree with sun8shine. Having someone there with you to give an HONEST opinion is best!.
I have been going to the same place for my eye care for 15 years. The girls there are like family to me, and have never steered me wrong.
I am creature of habit and have had the same style of frames (rectangle) for years. Last year I found my rectangle frames in Olive Green metal... loved them!.
This year I went out of my comfort zone and tried different shape, little smaller in size than the photo above, but still in the olive green color. Have had nothing but compliments on them!.
Once in a while I stop in to get them cleaned and drop off Bigby coffee for the crew ... a little "just because". All is good! Smiley Happy

You should never immediately assume that others are just like yourself, or like those whom you know.

There are many of us who don't have a "someone"... or pretty much anyone for that matter.

Which is why HTO orders are great, as we can sometimes even e-mail pics of ourselves in possible frames to WP's staff.

Great to hear you jumped 'out of your box' this time as far as frame shapes go. I did too, and in the frame color as well. 8)

Super Contributor

On 9/1/2014 ID2 said:

Voila, not walla.
Contributor

On 9/1/2014 feline groovy said:
On 9/1/2014 Domestic Goddess said:
I agree with sun8shine. Having someone there with you to give an HONEST opinion is best!.
I have been going to the same place for my eye care for 15 years. The girls there are like family to me, and have never steered me wrong.
I am creature of habit and have had the same style of frames (rectangle) for years. Last year I found my rectangle frames in Olive Green metal... loved them!.
This year I went out of my comfort zone and tried different shape, little smaller in size than the photo above, but still in the olive green color. Have had nothing but compliments on them!.
Once in a while I stop in to get them cleaned and drop off Bigby coffee for the crew ... a little "just because". All is good! Smiley Happy

You should never immediately assume that others are just like yourself, or like those whom you know.

There are many of us who don't have a "someone"... or pretty much anyone for that matter.

Which is why HTO orders are great, as we can sometimes even e-mail pics of ourselves in possible frames to WP's staff.

Great to hear you jumped 'out of your box' this time as far as frame shapes go. I did too, and in the frame color as well. 8)

Contributor

My "someone" was all of the ladies at DeltaVision Optical. Sometimes what I think looks good can make people actually question my choices, so trust the honesty of these wonderful people.