Trusted Contributor

My stylist is my shampoo girl.  

Honored Contributor

My stylist has always washed my hair too.  I tip her well, she does amazing work and is my former student.

Respected Contributor

I always tip the shampoo girl separately - usually $3 but one in particular gives a short massage after rinsing so I tip her more. The stylist gets 20%.

Honored Contributor

Tipping use to be 15% but somewhere along the road the average is 20%.  I use to get sick of tipping everyone in the salon.  Hair stylist, shampoo girl.  I am now at a smaller salon (not a chain) and the hair stylist shampoos your hair -- Amen.  I tip 20%.  I enjoy this salon better than all the salons I have been to.  Quiet, and you don't have teeny boopers running around with green hair.

kindness is strength
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, I feel better.

I only had $10 in cash for the hairdresser.

They couldn't give me change on a debit card and I felt like I was slighting 

the shampoo girl.  

I will make sure I have more cash on me next time!

Trusted Contributor

If the salon has a shampoo person, I tip based on what they do. A basic wash, condition and go gets $2. That plus a head massage gets $5. That plus a special treatment (deep condition, steam, oil, etc), gets $10-$15.

I don't tip the stylist presuming she's going to tip the shampoo person; that takes away from HER tip. So, I tip each separately.

I'm one of those who hate restaurants that pool tips and then divide it equally among the service staff. No. That allows the crappy servers to coast on the work of the great servers. Therefore I inquire about the tipping policy before going. If they pool, we go elsewhere. 

I'm really picky about how and who I tip.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Super Contributor

@mdgrammy -my stylist is the owner. Her prices are out of control compared to the other salons in town so I don't tip her. I do tip the shampoo girl, esp since I get a color and she washes my hair before and after. 💗

Super Contributor

Funny timing on this, because I had my hair done today and my stylist washed my hair herself because the shampoo girl was busy with another customer. But usually I give the shampoo girl $5 (I live in a high cost-of-living area so it would likely be $3 in a normal place). However, one time I didn't have enough cash on me to tip her, and I just paid her double the next time I went with a little note on her envelope saying I was paying for the last visit too! 

Honored Contributor

I don't have a separate shampoo girl.  My hairdresser does it all, color, shampoo, cut, style. I tip 15-20%.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.