Honored Contributor

Re: How many makeup brushes do you use?

I wouldn't even try to count them.  They are in several makeup bags and here and there.

The collection goes back 30 years.  I have mostly  Trish McEvoy.  Problem with them is the old ones at least do not wear out.  Literally.  Some are at 25 years old and still are good.

I got them separately, in sets, and at makeup demos when new ones came out and makeup foundations changed.

I also have Shu Uemura, the small goat hair are the best foundation brushes I have; Bobbi Brown; Chantecaille;  couple of MAC; and a few miscellaneous.

I have to say the ones I've really used: Trish and Shu foundation brushes; Trish's flat blending brushes and thin eyeliner (I have one of the old gold handled ones that still works better than anything else); Shu powder brushes and a BB kabuki and a scrubby old bb and a trish blush/bronzer. 

Honored Contributor

@Swedishmiss 

I easily use 7 or more. Once for each shadow color applied, 2 for makeup, 1 blush, one for finishing, plus blending brushes for each. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have a lot of makeup brushes, more than 140. Realistically I use 7 or 8 of them in a day. I have duplicates of ones that I do use daily. I also have a full set of Smashbox makeup brushes that I never use as they are almost all made with real animal hair and I won't real hair makeup brushes anymore. 

I think the synthetic makeup brushes I like the best are by NYX, Sephora, and Sigma.

Esteemed Contributor

None, right now.  I recently took them off their stand and put them in a drawer to keep dust off them.  I own 8 but only used my 3 IT double-ended foundation brushes.  I wash my brushes every time I use them.  I'm really fussy about clean brushes.

(I haven't worn makeup or used any brushes in a year)

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

Maybe about 7 that I use consistently.

My most recent acquisition was a new shadow brush that I use for contouring (with blush). (Thanks for reminding me to throw the old one out!)

I couldn't do without a good lip brush, nor a flat brush for eye detail.

I recently did some water colors artwork, and I also gravitate to the flat brushes.

Honored Contributor

Only two, one for BE foundation and one for BE blush (Glee).  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

To be honest, I must have hundreds!! I don't use them all. I have multiples of the ones I use daily so I have a clean one each day: my BB concealer brush, BB full coverage  face brush, IT Foundation brush (the one with smaller end, too for concealer), Trish McEvoy angled blush/bronzer brush, 6 asst. Trish shadow brushes (angled, flat, smudge, etc.), BB fine liner brush, ABH brow brush with spoolie on other end,Trish fan brush and a small BB shadow blender brush that I use as a powder brush for t zone, around nose, smaller areas, under eyes. Think that's listed in order of use. 

Those are my everyday brushes that stand in a glass mug on my vanity. I have about 6 other mugs with additional brushes that are either dupicates or not used regularly. 

I have many more (duplicates of each) for doing clients' makeup since I never get to wash those except once a week and need clean ones for each person.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I wouldn't even try to count them.  They are in several makeup bags and here and there.

The collection goes back 30 years.  I have mostly  Trish McEvoy.  Problem with them is the old ones at least do not wear out.  Literally.  Some are at 25 years old and still are good.

I got them separately, in sets, and at makeup demos when new ones came out and makeup foundations changed.

I also have Shu Uemura, the small goat hair are the best foundation brushes I have; Bobbi Brown; Chantecaille;  couple of MAC; and a few miscellaneous.

I have to say the ones I've really used: Trish and Shu foundation brushes; Trish's flat blending brushes and thin eyeliner (I have one of the old gold handled ones that still works better than anything else); Shu powder brushes and a BB kabuki and a scrubby old bb and a trish blush/bronzer. 

@Sooner   Those are all my favorite brushes, too. I haven't replaced any of my BB, Trish or MAC brushes in decades. If you purchase good brushes and take good care of them, they last a very long time. 

Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

I have a lot of makeup brushes, more than 140. Realistically I use 7 or 8 of them in a day. I have duplicates of ones that I do use daily. I also have a full set of Smashbox makeup brushes that I never use as they are almost all made with real animal hair and I won't real hair makeup brushes anymore. 

I think the synthetic makeup brushes I like the best are by NYX, Sephora, and Sigma.

@TY   I have several sets of Smashbox too. I don't use them, but I love the black and red colors on my tables. 

Honored Contributor

I have so many brushes that there is no way I want to count them all. Has to be over a hundred.  I've gotten them as sets or with other purchases.  I do have those I use regularly and its usually a foundation brush, blush brush, a number of eyeshadow brushes, eyeliner brush, powder brush, and I'm sure there are others I'm not remebering.