Honored Contributor

Re: How many different perfumes do you have?

@nygradgirl wrote:

What a great question! I tend to purchase along the same brand, so if I know one perfume works for me, usually other names in the same brand will work too. For example, most Philosophy fragrances work for me very well. I started with their huge Pure Grace holiday box from QVC a few years ago and it multiplied to Amazing Grace, Falling in Love, Baby Grace and last month I bought a Fresh Cream rollerball from Sephora. I then picked up Sea of Love in a gift box, so I'm big on Philosophy. They all work without annoying me or making me sneeze! And I have been to almost to the bottom of my first Pure Grace and repurchased it! That never happens for me.

I once received a box from Sephora that allows you to pay one price and try many samples of perfume and then cash in a certificate for a free perfume or rollerball of your choice. That's a great way to get many samples and find a new perfume. 

There are also monthly subscriptions online to receive a different fragrance each month at a reasonable price.

Thank you, I'll have to look into that!

Honored Contributor

@UMDTerpFan wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@UMDTerpFan wrote:

I have about a dozen full size bottles, The Blend brand which is 10 rollers you mix and about a dozen sample sizes I've picked up along the way.

I have a just a few more than you. Do you worry about their going bad before you can use that many up? I do.

Yes, I do because I know I will never use them all up! I spritz lightly, I don't use a heavy hand. Some of the bottles are so large I've barely used them. Chanel No 22 is such a huge bottle I don't know if I'll ever use it up but it only came in two sizes, travel and a humongous 6.8 ounce bottle! I used a sample size for months before I used it up! I've had Guerlain Shalimar Ode de Vanille since 2010 and it is still fine. So I do think most perfumes will last quite some time and will not go bad. I've been testing all the new entries and have not found any that are as gorgeous as the scents I already have with the possible exception of Tom Ford's Fluer di Portofino. I'm not buying any new perfume unless it knocks my socks off if you know what I mean!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Smiley LOL

Glad to know I'm not alone. And when it comes to bottle sizes, whether you retail or discount, the larger size is always such a better deal that I often go for it. But now I'm rethinking that because if I never use it up, I'm really not saving anything. A 1.7 lasts me forever, so the better-priced 3.4 would have to go into my will. Smiley Wink

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I had let my perfume go down to 0, but I miss it. I'm trying a couple on just what I've heard. After I smell some at the store, I begin to be scent overwhelmed. I sure can't stand to spray on those little pieces of paper. I've been known to spray on my husband so I can smell on real skin, only it's not MY skin. So that's not really any help either.

Some of these perfumes mentioned I haven't even heard of. When you purchase your perfumes, how do you decide?  I do read what the contents (3 levels) contain.

Of the new ones I get (which I can name later) I notice fruit scents included, on a couple of them.

How do you get the sample sizes? 

QualityGal, it takes some experimentation to find out which types of fragrance appeal to you. And even then, tastes can change. I started with more of the fruity-floral but find now that I am attracted to orientals and some woody type scents. Fragrantica.com can help describe the groups and the notes for you. They also have extensive reviews.

If you're interested in trying a mainstream fragrance, you can always get samples at Nordstrom or Sephora. I've lately been interested in fragrances that are not offered there, so I can either buy at a low price on a reputable discount site and hope for the best (I advise this only after you know what you generally like and you have read reviews), or I can buy a sample (eBay is good for this).

As much as reviews can be helpful, though, you really have to take into consideration the tastes and preferences of the particular reviewer.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I had let my perfume go down to 0, but I miss it. I'm trying a couple on just what I've heard. After I smell some at the store, I begin to be scent overwhelmed. I sure can't stand to spray on those little pieces of paper. I've been known to spray on my husband so I can smell on real skin, only it's not MY skin. So that's not really any help either.

Some of these perfumes mentioned I haven't even heard of. When you purchase your perfumes, how do you decide?  I do read what the contents (3 levels) contain.

Of the new ones I get (which I can name later) I notice fruit scents included, on a couple of them.

Nordstroms will make you a sample size that will last for quite some time. I've heard Sephora does too but I haven't asked them for any yet. I will never buy a perfume without sampling it first because I've had a couple turn nasty on me. Everyone's chemistry is different so not everything smells wonderful on everyone Woman Surprised

If you are looking for a wonderful fragrance that not everyone is wearing, I highly recommend Carven Le Perfume. It is absolutely beautiful. Some others I'd recommend are Hanae Butterfly EDP, Dolce & Gabbana Pour Femme, Prada Infusion d Iris EDT and Caudalie Parfume Divin (Sephora carries it).

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Honored Contributor

O.K.  This is scary.  At last count, I had 55.  And I know I have more than that.  It's a sickness.  I love to be able to wear different scents.  And when I see a great, and I mean great, deal on a new fragrance, I snap it up. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Have not really found any I can wear. They are too overpowering, give me a headache & make my sinuses run. Most women wear way too much & it stinks.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

QualityGal, it takes some experimentation to find out which types of fragrance appeal to you. And even then, tastes can change. I started with more of the fruity-floral but find now that I am attracted to orientals and some woody type scents. Fragrantica.com can help describe the groups and the notes for you. They also have extensive reviews.

If you're interested in trying a mainstream fragrance, you can always get samples at Nordstrom or Sephora. I've lately been interested in fragrances that are not offered there, so I can either buy at a low price on a reputable discount site and hope for the best (I advise this only after you know what you generally like and you have read reviews), or I can buy a sample (eBay is good for this).

As much as reviews can be helpful, though, you really have to take into consideration the tastes and preferences of the particular reviewer.

SuzyQ3, thanks so much! I'll look at eBay and Sephora. Don't believe we have a Nordstrom's here. Good to know, thanks and I appreciate it.

Honored Contributor

@UMDTerpFan wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

Nordstroms will make you a sample size that will last for quite some time. I've heard Sephora does too but I haven't asked them for any yet. I will never buy a perfume without sampling it first because I've had a couple turn nasty on me. Everyone's chemistry is different so not everything smells wonderful on everyone Woman Surprised

If you are looking for a wonderful fragrance that not everyone is wearing, I highly recommend Carven Le Perfume. It is absolutely beautiful. Some others I'd recommend are Hanae Butterfly EDP, Dolce & Gabbana Pour Femme, Prada Infusion d Iris EDT and Caudalie Parfume Divin (Sephora carries it).

Thanks and I will have to check on those too! Appreciate it!!

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

Fragrantica.com can help describe the groups and the notes for you. They also have extensive reviews.

Just an extra thank you on that! Great site, I learned a lot and really liked that!

Honored Contributor

@Sister Golden Hair wrote:

Too many to count too.

My new favorite is Flowerbomb.

Yes, I have collected perfume bottles, tiny to big for forty years.

I have told this story before but maybe some of you haven't heard it.

My friend bought a pretty perfume bottle at a garage sale for $3.00 and found out that it was worth $900.00.

I have a small collection of perfume bottles from way back, starting about the same time as you. And I have a some mini perfume bottles as well. Long before I stated wearing perfume, I just loved the way the bottles looked. I also have a small collection of wine/champagne bottles because I like their shapes and colors. 

I'm curious, was the $900 bottle one of the Nina Ricci lalique L'Air de Temps bottles? 

-- bebe Smiley Happy