Honored Contributor

Re: How many days do you wait to wash your hair after you color it?

I don't use shampoo, I co-wash. I don't wash my hair for 2-3 days after I color it.

Super Contributor

I wash it after I color it and every day after that.
Honored Contributor

They wash it twice to get the color out then I generally wait 24 hours before I wash it again.

Valued Contributor

Two. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} An old stylist of mine said to do this and it's been years and I'm still doing it! So, if I get my hair colored on, say, Saturday morning, I'll wait 'til Monday morning to wash. If I can push it longer I do, but in general, I can't. My hair really needs to be washed on that 2nd day out!

Respected Contributor

I usually wait a day or two after a coloring whether it be from my hairdresser or I do it at home. She has always suggested that. Also she said not to shampoo your hair on the day you are getting it colored. These are rules I have always followed.

Honored Contributor

On 9/4/2014 susan25 said:
On 9/3/2014 di-mc said:

The instructions that come with the color I use say to wash it right away. I use a product from Sally's. I recall when I had my color done at a salon, they washed it immediately.

I usually always have my hair colored at a salon. They always wash it after it has been colored.

Same here. Every six weeks I go to have my base color (and a glaze for the last few minutes). It's permanent color. It's not going to wash out.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Mine is always washed at the salon, and I use NO "product". If I used product, I'd have to wash it by about the third or fourth day.
Super Contributor

I wait 24 hours and I wash it with WEN, so I really don't worry as much because I know it won't strip the color.
Trusted Contributor

My stylist has always told me to wait 72 hours, especially if you are covering gray.

Valued Contributor

On 9/3/2014 Dusty1 said:

I wash my hair the next day & usually wash it daily. My color stays just fine except next to my scalp. For some reason it turns silver after 3 weeks or so. Hmmmmm.

I believe they are called ""roots"".