Frequent Contributor

How many days do you wait to wash your hair after you color it?

Hi everyone. I read somewhere that you should wait to wash your hair after you color it. If you do this, how many days do you wait until you wash it? Once you wash, then how often do you wash your hair? Every day, every other?

Thanks for your input. God bless you all. : )

Honored Contributor

Re: How many days do you wait to wash your hair after you color it?

I don't wash my hair for 24 hours before I color it--I think that's per the instructions Revlon's Colorsilk provides. But then I use the shampoo provided immediately after coloring and make no further adjustments. Colorsilk lasts me about 6-7 weeks.

Respected Contributor

The instructions that come with the color I use say to wash it right away. I use a product from Sally's. I recall when I had my color done at a salon, they washed it immediately.

Honored Contributor

I wait 2 days before I wash it after I get my color (non-bleach) highlights. I generally only wash my hair every 2-3 days.

Super Contributor

After color I wait at least two days, sometimes three. Then I wash every other day and use conditioner only every other day.

Honored Contributor

A week.
Super Contributor

I shampoo the very next day - only 24 hours later and never have a problem with my color.
Respected Contributor

On 9/3/2014 Snow Owl said:

After color I wait at least two days, sometimes three. Then I wash every other day and use conditioner only every other day.

Almost the same here. I try to eek out washing to three days whenever possible, new color or not. My hair is frightening in the morning. Bed head that makes the dogs think twice about waking me. So, I must wet it and style it. On non-wash days I use cold water to wet my hair.
Super Contributor

I colored my hair for 30 plus years as I went grey in my 20's....I would only wash my hair once a week as to keep the color true as long as possible. For someone that does not have white hair,( the color pulls with every wash), I would wait three days after coloring to let the color set.
Respected Contributor

2 days, but I usually try to push it to 3. Smiley Happy