Frequent Contributor

Re: How many days do you wait to wash your hair after you color it?

I had my hair colored Tuesday evening and waited until last night to wash it. I will say I didn't notice as much color run-off as I usually do when I wait only 2 days. My hair is dry and curly and I wash it every 2 or 3 days anyway or I turn into Roseanne Roseannadanna (kids, google her or ask your parents)

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/3/2014 benzgirl said: I shampoo the very next day - only 24 hours later and never have a problem with my color.
I agree. I wash my hair every day and my color lasts for a good three months. I just feel dirty if I don't wash my hair every day.
Super Contributor

I run conditioner thru it ( not what comes in the box, my biolage) right after I rinse the color, and run conditioner thru the next day, then wash and condition as usual after that.

Honored Contributor

My girl washes it immediately as she says it is the only way to assure the dye's active process is stopped. I shampoo the next day.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I try to wait a couple of days because it was drummed into my head for so many years that you should do so. My stylist says this is totally unnecessary.

Honored Contributor

You can wash it whenever you want. I've had multiple stylists tell me this.

Super Contributor

As long as I can - 3 to 4 days usually

Trusted Contributor

I wash my hair every two to three days, which is the same amount of time I wait to wash it after coloring, sometimes a little longer. If it really needs freshening up, just rinse and condition and don't use shampoo.