Contributor

How long does a product need to stay on skin to be effective?

Just curious....how long does a product need to be on your skin for it to be effective (for what it is supposed to do)?

I am mostly thinking about my skincare at night. I put it on before I go to bed and then smush my face all over the pillow all night. How much rubs off?

I do allow the skincare to absorb, but I still wonder if that is enough?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Super Contributor

Re: How long does a product need to stay on skin to be effective?

Thats so funny because I was just thinking about this this morning when I woke up and my skin was dry. When I went to bed it was very hydrated.
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/18/2015 shiloh 81 said: Thats so funny because I was just thinking about this this morning when I woke up and my skin was dry. When I went to bed it was very hydrated.

What's your indoor humidity level like? Maybe that is a contributing factor.

JD13s question...

Ingredients can have an immediate effect on your skin. Are you experiencing a particular issue like shiloh?

So many elements to consider to just how far down into the dermis certain ingredients sink (if at all), stay and perform a job.

You do not want them to penetrate any more deeply than they can and generally do, though. All kinds of reasons why.

Contributor

JD13s question...

Ingredients can have an immediate effect on your skin. Are you experiencing a particular issue like shiloh?

So many elements to consider to just how far down into the dermis certain ingredients sink (if at all), stay and perform a job.

You do not want them to penetrate any more deeply than they can and generally do, though. All kinds of reasons why.

Not really experiencing anything in particular like Shiloh. Just wondering if I'm not getting all I can out of my skincare. I am using something to lighten some dark spots on my face (even though I have been religious about sunscreen since age 16). Since they are on the sides of my face I was wondering if I'm just rubbing it right off.

I would also like to think that any retinol products I'm using are not being less effective.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/18/2015 JD13 said:
JD13s question...

Not really experiencing anything in particular like Shiloh. Just wondering if I'm not getting all I can out of my skincare. I am using something to lighten some dark spots on my face (even though I have been religious about sunscreen since age 16). Since they are on the sides of my face I was wondering if I'm just rubbing it right off.

I would also like to think that any retinol products I'm using are not being less effective.

Not all retinols perform equally. But to pack the most punch with a retinol product, use it by itself with nothing on your skin before or after.

I know everyone out there says that everyone out there should be using retinol, but I do not agree. (I did not mis-type.)

I'm wondering how your lightening product is making a difference. If you are treating dark spots with topicals (and hence the use of retinol) that takes time to see a difference. There, too, some lightening ingredients work better than others. You can search threads on the BB with product suggestions. And it also depends on what kind of dark spot you have.