Honored Contributor

Re: How long does a blow dryer last for you?

I bought my Dyson 2 years ago & my husband says it better last until I die!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

I always buy Conair.  The very first one I had (decades ago) was at least 15 years old, when I moved to England.  Couldn't use it there, so gave it to a friend and she still had it years later.  Daily use.

My current Conair is at least 10 years old.  It replaced another one I still have - I just felt like a change, so the old one is kept as a spare or for when friends visit.  (Well, they did until the pandemic hit.)

I use mine every other day; sometimes more often than that.  I see other more expensive or "fancier" brands, but I stick with Conair.  I asked my hairdresser a few years back and she agreed that I was just as well off to buy my $30 Conair!

Honored Contributor

Regarding the dryers that have been around for decades...they must have been made to last!

It's like with my Keurig.  I bought one of the  first ones made, perhaps 15 years ago.  I've never had a problem with it.  Other people say theirs only last 2-3 years.

Honored Contributor

Being a hairdresser, I have several.  Some professional and some from Walmart.  Mine last forever.  

First, keep the filter clean

Second, when you wrap the cord, be careful that you do not put tension on the cord where it is attached to the dryer. Leave a lot of slack. (important)

If I buy from Walnut, I buy Conair.  They make good inexpensive dryers and hair irons.

Esteemed Contributor

Havent used a dryer in at least 15 years.  My hair is thick and mid back length. I wash, towel dry and let it curl naturally. Works for me!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a Sunbeam blow dryer that lasted about 25 years.  When it finally died, I got a Conair at my neighborhood supermarket that I think is 10 years old now.   I always buy a travel-sized model because the big blow dryers are too big and difficult for me to use.  And whenever my blow dryer smells hot or burnt, I take an old toothbrush and scrub all the gunk off the filter.  In the last few years, I only use my blow dryer every other day for about 5 minutes at a time.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

My DH said that when the element burns out, it's over! Which can happen on the most expensive to the cheapest.

Anymore, I use a blow dryer for about 2-3 minutes and then let it air dry. My cheap Revlon has lasted more than 3 years.

Once when I did get an expensive one, it burned out in a year, but to be fair, I was using it more frequently. That was a T3.

Honored Contributor

I have always kept the filter clean, but didn't give much thought to the cord.   I'll be aware of that when I get my new one.  

I wish I could let my hair air dry, but even when it was shorter, it would take several hours.  I often have to be out of the house early in the morning.   

This morning I used the dryer from my guest bathroom.  It's an older Panasonic model, very heavy and not enough power.   I'll be glad to get my new one and may even get a replacement for the one my houseguests will have to use.....once I'm able to have guests again.  

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

With daily use, for about 15 minutes, any blow dryer I've ever purchased has lasted for about three years.  Price doesn't make a difference.  

What usually happens is, I initially smell a burnt odor for several days before the motor "dies". With my latest one, I gave up on it a few days after smelling this odor.   I didn't feel it was safe to use anymore.  I do clean out the filter area often.  

I ordered a new one today and will use the one from my guest bathroom until it arrives. 

@september   Same here. I air dry a lot of the time when I wear my hair curly, but diffuse it with the dryer for the last 15 minutes. I always have a backup dryer on the shelf.All too often that burning smell begins and I know it's time to toss it. Some dryers have a flip open filter to clear out which supposedly make them last longer. They just don't make dryers as well as they used to when one lasted me for 10 years. Maybe the more expensive ones are better, but I'll stay with my $39-$40 drugstore dryers. In fact, I just picked up an extra of the exact one I'm using, that's beginning to smell, on Sat. at TJ Maxx for $25. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a Helen of Troy blow dryer that I have had for 20+ years.  I moved on to something that was supposed to be better with updated technology but I saved my HOT just in case my new one broke.

The new one I bought is a Conair and that one has to be over 10 years old and still works fine.   

All of my blow dryers have always come from the drugstore or Bed, Bath & Beyond.  I think my Conair was on clearance for $10.00 at BBB.  LOL

For reference, I have thinner, fine hair.  I blow dry everytime I wash my hair which is every other day.