Honored Contributor

How long does a blow dryer last for you?

With daily use, for about 15 minutes, any blow dryer I've ever purchased has lasted for about three years.  Price doesn't make a difference.  

What usually happens is, I initially smell a burnt odor for several days before the motor "dies". With my latest one, I gave up on it a few days after smelling this odor.   I didn't feel it was safe to use anymore.  I do clean out the filter area often.  

I ordered a new one today and will use the one from my guest bathroom until it arrives. 

Honored Contributor

Re: How long does a blow dryer last for you?

I have a t2 that is at least 6 years and I think older than that.  I don't use it every day, probably every 2 or 3 days.  

Honored Contributor

The one I'm currently using is about 20 years old.  Bought it in CVS for $19.   

I bought it to replace a similar one I left it at my parents' place so I wouldn't have to bring it back and forth when I visited.  That one would probably be close to 40 years old now!

I have short fine hair - I can dry it with the dryer in about five minutes.  It air dries in less than half an hour.

Valued Contributor

i have a T3 Featherweight on year 4.  it is used multiple times per week.  it's out of warranty now and (pause to knock on wood) if it fails i will immediately order the same.  it is lightweight, quieter than dryers i've previously owned and dries our hair quickly with no damage.

Contributor

I have had my conair so far for 10 years but I clean the filter all the time

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA wrote:

The one I'm currently using is about 20 years old.  Bought it in CVS for $19.   

I bought it to replace a similar one I left it at my parents' place so I wouldn't have to bring it back and forth when I visited.  That one would probably be close to 40 years old now!

I have short fine hair - I can dry it with the dryer in about five minutes.  It air dries in less than half an hour.

@ALRATIBA 

I keep hairdryers forever, until they short out because of that plug that is supposed to prevent electrocution in the bathroom and it prevents hairdrying more than anything else.  Fortunately, I have thick hair that does not require blowing for style, just blowing for quick drying. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks all, for your answers so far.  I did some online research when my present dryer had that burnt smell again, and learned that longer use, every day, might put more stress on the motor.  I have fine hair, but a lot of it, so need to dry for a full 15 minutes.  

My previous stylist recommended the brand, Babylis, for me.  That's what I've been using, and am replacing it with another from the brand, since that's what my present stylist also uses.  I like this brand, just wish it lasted longer. 

Honored Contributor

Funny you should ask! Mine usually lasts for years, but I bought a Remington four months ago and it started making weird noises and I could smell it burning so I just got a Conair today. 

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

Funny you should ask! Mine usually lasts for years, but I bought a Remington four months ago and it started making weird noises and I could smell it burning so I just got a Conair today. 

Exactly....the smell started about a week ago.  I pulled off the end cap, brushed out a small amount of dust.  Everything looked good, used it for a few more days and then the burning smell came back. 

mine didn't make any noises but when I had it on high today (what I usually start out with) it powered down on its own.  Just doesn't seem safe to use anymore. 

Esteemed Contributor

I use my hairdryer everyday it's over 8 years old