Honored Contributor

Re: How long do you wait for your hairdresser

I'm first appointment of the day so I almost never have to wait.  I appreciate that.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a favorite hairdresser many years ago and followed her from salon to salon.  One day in her newest location I had to wait an hour for her to start working on my hair.  After that I never went back. 

Honored Contributor

I would first change the time for my appt.  If she was still late then I would change to another stylist.  I would not wait 20 minutes for some hairstylist.  It is completely rude and unprofessional on her part.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

A few months ago mine was 40 minutes late taking me. She was doing a color but she must have been delayed before that. Or the client was late.

I was very unhappy about it. I'm never late for my appointments with her. The salon uses the Flok app, so I rated my visit 4 stars instead of the usual 5. (probably should have been 3).The salon owner messaged me through the app and asked me about it. So I told her, and she said she would speak to the stylist. It hasn't happened since. 

I don't mind 10 minutes or so. But 40 or more is disrespectful to me. She never even came over to explain, she apologized when I sat in the chair. The salon owner is good and obviously cares very much about clients and her business.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

Years ago I went to a guy who was great, $$$ and worth it. He was so detail oriented with each client. Quality cut and style, not quantity of women in his chair per day. Always running late and later!

I learned to book the first appointment of the day or the first one after lunch. No more waiting.

Trusted Contributor

With no explanation or apology? Done after the first time. 

Rude is rude, period. 

Honored Contributor

My hairdresser is also one of the owner's of the shop where I go and I have waited 20 minutes or more, but only twice in all the years I've been going to her. The hairdresser was working on someone else, no doubt someone who scheduled a high priced service before my appointment. I only go for a haircut every 8 weeks and the shop is right down the road from my house, so I can put up with a little inconvenience.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks to all for reinforcing my decision. What surprised me was her attitude when I asked the salon manager about my appt time. She acted as I was the problem and she was never right after that. Frosty. Became difficult to talk to. So, when I changed to another stylist, I made certain I booked on the day my original stylist was scheduled off. Minimizes any issues. My new stylist has never once been late.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I usually stick with the same hairdresser for years.  The lady I've seen for several years now almost never keeps me waiting.  If it rarely happens, she keeps me waiting no more than five minutes.  

My last hairdresser kept me waiting 45 minutes one time as she finished a woman's hair, then the woman decided she wanted to have her hair straighter.  My hairdresser, at that time, re-blow dried her hair over and over again to make a smoother, textured look and then fussed with the hairdo until it was perfect.  The lady she was working on was new and my hairdresser probably wanted to impress her.  She impressed the woman, no doubt, but lost me.  All the time I waited, I had to sit at the shampoo area and the seats were wet over there all the time.  Tacky!  My hairdresser, at that time,  didn't even wipe the seat off for me to have a clean and dry place to wait.  I deserved better, so I never went back.  That hairdresser called me a couple of months later and asked me why I never returned.  I told her the truth and she gave lots of excuses, but that was it for me.  That hairdresser is gone from this area now, so I suspect that others had troubles with her as well.

Super Contributor

I've had the same hairdresser for 11 years. I think one time I waited 10 minutes. She's great. I'm very comfortable with her and have great conversations.