Honored Contributor

Re: How long can you go without washing your hair?

Wish we could have a general discussion about hair, such as this one about frequency of washing, without WEN ZAPS popping in.

But, they almost always do. 

As a long time WEN user I assure you my hair doesn't have 'that dirty head smell.'

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I wash mine everyday.  It's just easier since I shower every day.  I would look like Bozo after getting out of the shower, if I wore a shower cap.  I do have a wash & go style, so it's no big deal.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I guess maybe if you hung out in smoky bars and bingo halls or were into dumpster diving or making lutefisk or something a person's hair would get all gross and hold onto the smell and need to be washed asap. I just can't imagine what else healthy people who weren't all sweaty would be doing to immediately have hair smell problems in a matter of hours.

@Porcelain 

One ' GREAT ' thought provoking statement. Smiley Happy !!!  5 stars for "U".

NAES 

Trusted Contributor

I love this kind of observation. I have honestly never experienced my hair/scalp smelling bad. This may be because when I do shampoo, I am extremely thorough. I only use styling products immediately following shampoo and conditioning.

My supreme test is scalp itching. If my scalp itches, in 5-7 days, usually, it's time to shampoo.

Other than that, my hair feels and looks better the longer I go between shampoos.

I love a bedhead look, except for cowlicks. That is a different issue altogether.

When I spend a few days at the beach, it's showering my head with no shampoo or conditioner. I love the natural beach waves.

Respected Contributor

I use (too much) hairspray on my fine hair - I wash daily unless I'm not going to work on a weekend or something but otherwise the longest I go is one day but I don't leave the house!

Esteemed Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@grayhairdontcare wrote:

Just as a point of reference...I am a Registered Dental Hygienist so maybe I have a heightened sense of smell but I cringe when a patient arrives and they have unwashed hair... it smells...and I'm wearing a mask and can still smell dirty hair. Plus hair product on top of dirty hair isnt pleasant either. We now have to double shield the headrest for every patient due to all the hair gels + styling creams used.  Plus the number of folks who dont shower and come to their appointment is alarming too. Thank god for the peppermint oil we now dab into our masks to get us through the appointments. 

@grayhairdontcare   This is with any chosen career working with the public... bad odor.

I was in retail sales and everyday had to stand next to people and assist them  who either  did not bath, change/wash  their clothes....had either urine or poop in their pants when wearing diapers as adults.... had cancer and had that cancer  smell....

I had had to hold my breath often. 

What is "that cancer smell"?

@grayhairdontcare  I just had a similar discussion with my dental hygenist of nearly 40 years last week.  We were talking about the poor hygenic state some people are in when they sit in the dental chair.  One of her biggest peeves is those who absolutely seem to not bother with toothbrushing and mouthwash when it's time for the dental cleaning.  For some reason she says this bothers her more than the body odors (including those who think they are smelling good with their perfumed hair and body products).  @SeaMaiden retail is a cesspool of smelliness.  I've "smelled" instances of clothes which salespeople have brought to the attention of managers because it smells so bad after it has been tried on. Steaming sometimes helps eliminate the odor but once your nose has been assaulted by fowl smells in new clothes, it's tough to buy them -- in any brick and mortar store -- without steaming or laundering before hanging in your closet.

Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@grayhairdontcare wrote:

Just as a point of reference...I am a Registered Dental Hygienist so maybe I have a heightened sense of smell but I cringe when a patient arrives and they have unwashed hair... it smells...and I'm wearing a mask and can still smell dirty hair. Plus hair product on top of dirty hair isnt pleasant either. We now have to double shield the headrest for every patient due to all the hair gels + styling creams used.  Plus the number of folks who dont shower and come to their appointment is alarming too. Thank god for the peppermint oil we now dab into our masks to get us through the appointments. 

@grayhairdontcare   This is with any chosen career working with the public... bad odor.

I was in retail sales and everyday had to stand next to people and assist them  who either  did not bath, change/wash  their clothes....had either urine or poop in their pants when wearing diapers as adults.... had cancer and had that cancer  smell....

I had had to hold my breath often. 

@SeaMaiden 

If I may ask, what is "that cancer smell" you referred to??

@shoesnbags ,

I asked the same question and so far @SeaMaiden hasn't come back to answer it.

I am very interested in her explanation.

Very interested...

Esteemed Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 

She’s been a busy bee on other threads. Wonder why she won’t come back and answer our question???

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 

She’s been a busy bee on other threads. Wonder why she won’t come back and answer our question???

@shoesnbags ,

Indeed.

Perhaps she grew a sensitivity bone.

Yeah. No.   🙄

Esteemed Contributor

I can only go 3 days without washing my hair. My scalp is oily, my hair is long and I will get bed head when my hair is dirty. I don't like dirty hair either. Sometimes dry shampoo on the second day will be helpful but only for a day. In hot weather I generally have to wash my hair more often. The problem with washing my hair is that it will pull the hair color out from my roots and make gray roots show up quickly.