Honored Contributor

Re: How long can you go without washing your hair?

Every other day, unless I’v been working in the yard, or similar.

Good brushing every night with a soft bristled brush.

Oil treat once a week.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I generally wash my hair every 2nd or 3rd day but I have gone a week after fresh color and a professional wash and blow out

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I will never go more than 2 days without washing my hair.  I believe the cleanliness of shampooing is vital to good scalp care...un-plugging the follicles, stimulating the scalp, getting all air borne dust, and dirt out.  My hair looks very healthy and shiny...its a matter of finding a great, non drying, non stripping shampoo.   I use Oribe products.  Sometimes switch around...whatever works on my hair type.  My scalp feels so relieved after shampooing.   Oh, and smells GREAT!!  

Honored Contributor

I hate dry shampoo, maybe I've never tried a good one.  So four days is tops for me.

Honored Contributor

Lately, I wash my hair daily. Maybe in the winter I can go an extra day but I love the smell of freshly washed hair so I include washing it in my daily shower... 

Respected Contributor

I 'have' to wash it every day.  I've tried to skip a day...ugh...makes me look and 'feel' awful if I don't wash it every day.  My stylist tells me every month that my hair looks healthy so I guess all is well.  I would think it depends totally on your hair type as to whether you can wash it often as I do...or go days without washing.

Esteemed Contributor

@grayhairdontcare wrote:

Just as a point of reference...I am a Registered Dental Hygienist so maybe I have a heightened sense of smell but I cringe when a patient arrives and they have unwashed hair... it smells...and I'm wearing a mask and can still smell dirty hair. Plus hair product on top of dirty hair isnt pleasant either. We now have to double shield the headrest for every patient due to all the hair gels + styling creams used.  Plus the number of folks who dont shower and come to their appointment is alarming too. Thank god for the peppermint oil we now dab into our masks to get us through the appointments. 

I totally agree, @grayhairdontcare .  There is nothing worse than getting a whiff of unclean hair and scalp.  I don't think that most people realize that they sweat while they are sleeping whether they are aware or not.  Sweaty head, sweaty body.....not good.  People that bathe at night thinking that covers them for the next day are fooling themselves and offending others.

I feel your pain, @grayhairdontcare .  

BTW  I am 66 with below shoulder length hair.  I wash it everyday.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@grayhairdontcare wrote:

Just as a point of reference...I am a Registered Dental Hygienist so maybe I have a heightened sense of smell but I cringe when a patient arrives and they have unwashed hair... it smells...and I'm wearing a mask and can still smell dirty hair. Plus hair product on top of dirty hair isnt pleasant either. We now have to double shield the headrest for every patient due to all the hair gels + styling creams used.  Plus the number of folks who dont shower and come to their appointment is alarming too. Thank god for the peppermint oil we now dab into our masks to get us through the appointments. 

I can assure you that back when I didn’t shampoo daily, I wasn’t giving off a “dirty hair” smell.  My hair was not oily, I wasn’t around smoke, and back then I wasn’t physically active enough to be sweaty,   I was always sitting close to and/or getting hugs from children, grandchildren, siblings and dates....no one ever indicated I was emitting an unpleasant odor, or avoided contact.

i realize that in your work you DO come in contact with gross smells....but your statement made it sound like everyone who doesn’t shampoo daily has a stinky scalp. 

Respected Contributor

Everyone's hair and scalp are different.  Some people can shampoo at night and be fresh the next day. I have a friend who does that and she never smells unfresh.  She has crazy thick super curly hair. She has to be delicate with it and lets it air dry that's why she does it at night. I on the other hand am the one who would be smelly without a fresh washing.  Back when I was trying to do Wen I found myself having that dirty head smell and oh lord, did it bother me, so I stopped.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Funny thread. I shower a night. I guess I’ve offended people all my life. Surprised I have any friends. 

As the Doors sang...People are Strange.