Honored Contributor

Re: How long can you go without washing your hair?

@grayhairdontcare wrote:

Just as a point of reference...I am a Registered Dental Hygienist so maybe I have a heightened sense of smell but I cringe when a patient arrives and they have unwashed hair... it smells...and I'm wearing a mask and can still smell dirty hair. Plus hair product on top of dirty hair isnt pleasant either. We now have to double shield the headrest for every patient due to all the hair gels + styling creams used.  Plus the number of folks who dont shower and come to their appointment is alarming too. Thank god for the peppermint oil we now dab into our masks to get us through the appointments. 

@grayhairdontcare   This is with any chosen career working with the public... bad odor.

I was in retail sales and everyday had to stand next to people and assist them  who either  did not bath, change/wash  their clothes....had either urine or poop in their pants when wearing diapers as adults.... had cancer and had that cancer  smell....

I had had to hold my breath often. 

Respected Contributor

Most stylists including Chaz and my own say that you should not wash your hair everyday. My hair is dry so I never use a dry shampoo. The purpose of a dry shampoo is to remove oil and I literally have no oil in my hair. However, I am an avid walker. So in this heat and humidity, I must wash mine more often. Also if I workout inside and sweat then I also have to wash more often. During the Summer I probably wash 5 - 6 days a week. In the winter I can go about every 3 days. Before I retired, I washed mine everyday. Simply because I was much more visible to the public.

Honored Contributor

I can go about one day without shampoo. After that I look increasingly like a wet cat.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wash mine every day.  I have naturally curly hair and I work out at the gym daily.  I can't stand thinking that the sweat is still "staining" my scalp and not getting washed away.  On the rare occasion that I pay to have the salon straighten my hair, I skip my workout one evening and wear two shower caps while showering so that the humidity doesn't reach my hair and make it curl back up.  Even though I did shower, I still feel a little weird not having washed my hair on that particular day.  I don't ever want to be one of those people who give off a scent (to put it nicely) by not showering/washing hair often enough.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@grayhairdontcare wrote:

Just as a point of reference...I am a Registered Dental Hygienist so maybe I have a heightened sense of smell but I cringe when a patient arrives and they have unwashed hair... it smells...and I'm wearing a mask and can still smell dirty hair. Plus hair product on top of dirty hair isnt pleasant either. We now have to double shield the headrest for every patient due to all the hair gels + styling creams used.  Plus the number of folks who dont shower and come to their appointment is alarming too. Thank god for the peppermint oil we now dab into our masks to get us through the appointments. 

I'm convinced people become immune to their own body odors.

We've discussed deodorant and some insist they do not have BO so do not use it.  Often times they do have BO, they just are immune to it.

Face it, our bodies do give off unpleasant odors, particularly when the parts are not properly washed.

Honored Contributor

I wash my hair every 2 days but I have gone 3 days.  Back in the day when we teased our hair, we washed it every 5 or 6 days.  lol

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 

And used that "rat tail" comb to get in there and scratch your head Cat LOL

I never could do this, but I remember once they got that big "bee hive" or bouffant flip, girls would go days before redoing them.

Ick!

Esteemed Contributor

@grayhairdontcare 

I got queasy just reading your post.

Cannot imagine being that up close and personal to someone who smells unpleasant.  

When I worked, and rode the elevator to and from my office, you could always smell the person/people who didn't wash, use deodorant and keep their hair clean.

I ran at lunch time, so showered afterwards without fail. Made everythng else around me smell funky!

Respected Contributor

I used to wash every other day, but since I've been using Tweak-d I've cut back to every 3rd or 4th day depending on what I'm doing.  Since I don't need styling products anymore it really stays shiny and bouncy

Honored Contributor

People with certain health issues sometimes smell. Unavoidably. Some of them know they smell and are humiliated by that fact. I imagine their worst nightmare about the topic is having people sneer and talk about them behind their backs.

I suspect that sometimes people who wear a lot of perfume may be trying to hide other smells. But everyone hates that scenario too. Plus people have violent allergic reactions to the cover scents.

I applaud them for continuing to live their lives as best they can (like we all try to do) and doing what they need to do in public. Not everyone can hide out at home just to make the rest of us more comfortable.

So endeth the sermon! Woman Wink

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr