Trusted Contributor

Re: How long can you go without washing your hair?

@fitfuninformed wrote:

@Knit-Chick  So eloquently spoken.  Hopefully your words are heard here - some people just need to be reminded now and again.  Be well.

@fitfuninformed thank you!  this just struck a nerve with me.  When I cared for my dad who had Parkinsons and dementia, we had aides who helped with bathing, etc. but they only came a few times a week.  I would take my parents out to eat 'on good days'.... I know my dad may not have been super clean, but it meant the world to my mom to try to keep a normal routine.  Take care Smiley Happy  

Trusted Contributor

@FLgardener Oh, I'm so sorry about that!  Unforunately experiences like that stick with us.  People just need to be more kind.  I wish you well,  take care!

Respected Contributor

I shampoo daily. Winter months I can skip a day but I feel better with washed hair

Valued Contributor

I wash mine every day.  At age 63, I still have oily scalp and hair.  

Trusted Contributor

I wash mine usually every three days; sometimes I can sneak in a fourth day.  I have dry, color-treated hair, so I try not to over-wash, and also I want my color to last.  I do rub corn starch into my roots at bedtime to keep away oily roots.

Frequent Contributor

Hi, I’m new hereSmiley Happy For me it took a while to “train” my hair. Until my mid 40’s I absolutely had to wash daily due to oiliness. Wanting to keep things more natural and low maintenance, I decided to start spacing it out a bit and seeing if the oil production might actually decrease with less washing and for me, it seems it did. Of course I’m older now (53) so that could easily be more of a function of age than training. Anyway, at this point I’m down to twice, maybe three times per week but I don’t have to go out and work (I’m a caregiver for my husband who got leukemia a few years ago and is totally disabled from it) so it’s not like I need to look professional. I use Castile soap, a diluted apple cider vinegar rinse, do my own haircuts and usually wear it in a low pony. It’s easy and (I think!) flattering for me. I don’t use products so I don’t have anything but dirt and oil to wash out. I just need simple and easy at this point.
Frequent Contributor

And I never noticed that he had a “cancer smell”, not that I would’ve cared. Never noticed it on the people in the hospital or clinic where he was treated either. I guess I was just busy being glad he wasn’t dead Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wash my hair very little, and I  go 2 weeks easily in winter ( once week in summer).  It literally never looks or feels dirty or greasy.  Between washings I just rinse with water daily in the shower.  My hair is super dry, coarse, curly, feels like hay, really, so the natural oils are the best thing for it. I do use Wen, and that has been beneficial for it. 

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ Love the Doors

Honored Contributor

Until my head starts to Itch?