Trusted Contributor

Re: How long can you go without washing your hair?

I have thick curly hair.  If I don't wash it every day, it looks like a rat's nest. It's pretty bad.

However, if I am ABSOLUTELY SURE that I am not  going anywhere for the entire day, I'll skip a wash and just put my hair into one braid.  Even then I don't feel right about it.

Oh, how I wish I didn't have to wash my hair every day!

Respected Contributor

@grayhairdontcare wrote:

Just as a point of reference...I am a Registered Dental Hygienist so maybe I have a heightened sense of smell but I cringe when a patient arrives and they have unwashed hair... it smells...and I'm wearing a mask and can still smell dirty hair. Plus hair product on top of dirty hair isnt pleasant either. We now have to double shield the headrest for every patient due to all the hair gels + styling creams used.  Plus the number of folks who dont shower and come to their appointment is alarming too. Thank god for the peppermint oil we now dab into our masks to get us through the appointments. 

That is just disgusting.  I don't know how you do it.  

Respected Contributor

I have washed my hair every day all my life.  It is short and I am in late 60s and have oily face and scalp.  I have tried to skip a day when not leaving the house but I don't feel clean.  It is like washing one arm and not the other.  I would like to skip a day to prolong my color but so far not able to do it.   

Respected Contributor

I wash mine usually every day except after a color which seems to dry out my scalp or if I get a haircut and style I can wait a couple of days. My travel friend .can go two weeks,  usually one week. I had a college roommate that could also go one week without washing a d styling. My Mother was a once a week at the hair dresser. She babied that hair do. No open car windows and sleeping in a position not to disturb her teased hairdo.

I have a monthly haircut as it grows fast. A wash and go Bob but do blow and style  it occasionally. I get tired of the cut but it is easy to maintain and I have gotten  compliments on the cut.

Honored Contributor

I used to wash mine every day but now I was every other day. I would only go 2 days without washing. After 2 days it would drive me crazy if I did not wash my hair. I won't leave the house without washing it though. LOL!!!

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@grayhairdontcare wrote:

Just as a point of reference...I am a Registered Dental Hygienist so maybe I have a heightened sense of smell but I cringe when a patient arrives and they have unwashed hair... it smells...and I'm wearing a mask and can still smell dirty hair. Plus hair product on top of dirty hair isnt pleasant either. We now have to double shield the headrest for every patient due to all the hair gels + styling creams used.  Plus the number of folks who dont shower and come to their appointment is alarming too. Thank god for the peppermint oil we now dab into our masks to get us through the appointments. 

@grayhairdontcare   This is with any chosen career working with the public... bad odor.

I was in retail sales and everyday had to stand next to people and assist them  who either  did not bath, change/wash  their clothes....had either urine or poop in their pants when wearing diapers as adults.... had cancer and had that cancer  smell....

I had had to hold my breath often. 

I hope that when you guys get older, have health issues, etc, people treat you with more compassion than you currently have.

Trusted Contributor

@Knit-Chick  So eloquently spoken.  Hopefully your words are heard here - some people just need to be reminded now and again.  Be well.

Contributor

If I have my hair done professionally, I go a week because it looks so good and I want it to last as long as possible  Otherwise I wash my hair no more than twice a week.  My hair is not oily.  When I was younger, I washed it every other day.  

Trusted Contributor

@Knit-Chick --

I would give you 10 hearts if I could. I have experienced many life experiences similar to yours. I have become a better person for having matured in my capacity for simple, human compassion.

I have always been able to stay on top of my hygiene, but years ago when I had an abscessed tooth, was sitting in the dentist's chair being treated, when I observed the dentist's assistant making faces and gestures about the odor caused by the abscess. She was not aware that I could see her and when she realized it, she stopped immediately. Nothing was said about it by her or me, but to this day, it is a very unpleasant memory.

Honored Contributor

I know people do it but I never could relate to the idea that we should or have to wash our hair everyday.  I think that's something the shampoo & conditioner made up to push their products.  To answer the question, it's not a matter of how long can I go.  I don't understand that either.  I wash my hair every 5 or 6 days but if out and about in muggy weather or if I have used a lot of gels, I'll wash it a bit more often.  My hair is curly and I don't do a lot with it.  I wash and condition and squeeze the water out with a microfiber towel.  Then I let it air dry or I pull into ponytail or top knot.  Between shampoos, I spritz it with water in the morning and use leave in conditioner.  Very low maintenance.  I love a straight blowout but I would never do it myself, my hair is strong and healthy because I don't use heat on it myself.  Occasionally, I go to my hairdresser for a blowout.  And when I do that, I don't wash my hair for a week or so.  I use some Pssst dry shampoo.  But I haven't had a blowout since Sprint 2018.