Honored Contributor

Re: How long can you go with out washing your hair

[ Edited ]

since I grew out my colored hair to natural silver starting in 2014, It is long now.  I cut it all off very short to grow it out... and have not cut it except for trims that I do for six years. 

I wash my hair and scalp just once a week.  I do not have an oily scalp... or hair.  I could go longer but choose to wash my scalp once a week.  I wash hair with just conditioner every other week and use shampoo occationally on my hair and  on my scalp weekly. 

I let it dry naturally... no blow dryers.  I occasionally use  a beach waver on my hair just for fun.. mostly wear my hair up in a messy bun.  Rarely use any heat appliances on my hair as it is delicacate being silver. 

I suppose since I use no products like hair spray or such on my hair to style it... it stays cleaner.

Valued Contributor

In the 'olden days 'in hospitals with bedridden patients ...nurses used to use with hazel on a cotton pad. Saturate hair iinto sections and wipe through each section . It will removeoil and dirt. Change cotton pad as necessary and saturate with withc hazel[not dripping wet.'  it will dry and be clean / Now they have the nicely scented lavender and rose and lemon witch hazel . It works.

cathy from ma

Honored Contributor

I hope you are feeling better and are fully on the mend.  That is most important.

I wash my hair every other day.  That's about as long as I can stand it.  I have a chin length asymetrical bob. I also have fine, poker straight and color treated hair so it tends to get dry.  I'd really like to wash it everyday but not only would that be hard on my color but it would be too drying on my hair using a blowdryer and flat iron.  

I have gone an extra day in a pinch and used some dry shampoo but most of that leaves a residue on my hair I don't like.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had to go weeks...maybe a month...without washing my hair because I had surgery on the back of my head. My entire backside of my head was shaved and there were stitches going from the base of my neck up to where the skull protrudes. I had cervical spine surgery. That wasn't bad but combined with having scleroderma, my hands are in a fixed permanent fist so it was an extremely difficult time for me to get my hair clean. I had to have a nurse's aid come to my house to help me wash my hair and also bathe. That was some time ago and I'm glad things have improved somewhat for me and my useless hands. Washing my hair these days is such a difficult thing to do and I really don't look forward to doing it at all. I wash my hair about every three to four days. 

Honored Contributor

Three days is tops.  However, when I had surgery it was over 14 days.  It was gross.  I used dry shampoo but it is not the same.  I was not allowed to get out of bed.  

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I've had to go weeks...maybe a month...without washing my hair because I had surgery on the back of my head. My entire backside of my head was shaved and there were stitches going from the base of my neck up to where the skull protrudes. I had cervical spine surgery. That wasn't bad but combined with having scleroderma, my hands are in a fixed permanent fist so it was an extremely difficult time for me to get my hair clean. I had to have a nurse's aid come to my house to help me wash my hair and also bathe. That was some time ago and I'm glad things have improved somewhat for me and my useless hands. Washing my hair these days is such a difficult thing to do and I really don't look forward to doing it at all. I wash my hair about every three to four days. 

@I am still oxox  I hope you get better soon!! Hugs to you!! I have naturally curly/frizzy hair that I ALWAYS just pull up on top of my head. I wash it and brush it up wet and I'm done with it. I know it's not good to keep your hair "up" all the time, nor is it good to put it up wet, but I really have no choice. I cannot go to the "salon" and get color/styled/etc I simply cannot afford it, but anyways.....I go about 7 days usually. I'm sure some people are gonna say ewww, but that's ok. My hair is VERY VERY dry so it's NEVER oily or anything. It works for me, so that is what I do.

@SilleeMee  First off, I'm sorry for all the stuff you've had to endure. That is a lot to go through! That is amazing that you do all that you do and your hands aren't much help it sounds like. You should be proud of yourself, bc a lot of people wouldn't have such a positive outlook like you do! I always enjoy reading your posts and you've given me some wonderful tips/ideas and I appreciate it. 

~ Hope in TN ~
Honored Contributor

Been there, done that, @I am still oxox, I'm glad you are recovering.

I prefer not to go longer than three days, but I could.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@BrandiDavis wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@I am still oxox  I hope you get better soon!! Hugs to you!! I have naturally curly/frizzy hair that I ALWAYS just pull up on top of my head. I wash it and brush it up wet and I'm done with it. I know it's not good to keep your hair "up" all the time, nor is it good to put it up wet, but I really have no choice. I cannot go to the "salon" and get color/styled/etc I simply cannot afford it, but anyways.....I go about 7 days usually. I'm sure some people are gonna say ewww, but that's ok. My hair is VERY VERY dry so it's NEVER oily or anything. It works for me, so that is what I do.

@SilleeMee  First off, I'm sorry for all the stuff you've had to endure. That is a lot to go through! That is amazing that you do all that you do and your hands aren't much help it sounds like. You should be proud of yourself, bc a lot of people wouldn't have such a positive outlook like you do! I always enjoy reading your posts and you've given me some wonderful tips/ideas and I appreciate it. 

@BrandiDavis, I have very curly hair, too. Very curly and frizz-prone. Have you tried air-drying it after adding some good styling products (silicone-free). I use a couple Deva Curl products. The next day I can refresh with spritzing water and scrunching.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I wash mine twice  a week.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox Oh my goodness, it's great to see you back!❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

My hair is usually up with no product other than the detangler after washing.  It's dry being double processed, so I can go a week.