Respected Contributor

Re: How long can you go with out washing your hair

unless i am wearing a wig, i need to wash it every day.  

when i was in the hospital, they used a shower cap/hair washing contraption that worked really well!  so well, in fact, that when i had my next surgery, i ordered some on amazon so that i would have them at home for recoup.  they work just fine on short hair.  

Respected Contributor

I normally wash my hair once a week. However, when I don't feel good, hair and skin stuff are the first to go. I just don't care.

During a long spell of poor health, I did no skin care at all for many weeks and surprisingly, my face looked about the same. The only thing I really needed was exfoliation. 

Respected Contributor

It depends on how sweaty I get at the gym.  If my hair is damp when I get home, I definitely wash it right away.

When not sweaty, I usually wash on Day 3.  My hair isn't oily, and I don't use a lot of products on it.  My stylist told me it's usually better for your hair not to shampoo every day.

If my hair was oily, I would be washing it every day!

Honored Contributor

I have an oily scalp so I wash mine every day, but I only do one lather. I can skip one day, but I would need to use dry shampoo. I rarely do skip a day. 

@I am still oxox 

I’ve had several long hospital stays in my life, and my mom or sisters would come wash my hair in the hospital. 🥰

Glad you’re out of the hospital and on the mend! 

Respected Contributor

If I'm going to work or out, I was every 2-3 days. If I'm sick and not going anywhere, I don't worry about it until I feel like I can and don't worry about counting days.

Trusted Contributor

I can go several days without a wash.  And I do like dry shampoo.  The brand of hair care products I so love are IGK.  you can find them ate Sephora and Ulta.  Wonderful.

Honored Contributor

I am amazed myself, but then again I am not doing much more than sleeping and eating

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

My hair is dry and naturally curly so I only need to wash it once a week and it looks fine.

Dry shampoo works great too!

Honored Contributor

I've had the flu and I've had pneumonia (10 day hospital stay) and I still showered and washed my hair.  Didn't they let you shower in the hospital?

I know for a day or two you really feel like you were hit with a Mack truck, but no one is stopping me from bathing.  Makes me feel better, even if it's just temporary.

No way could I go (almost a month!) without cleansing my hair.  I would have to be in a coma and not realize it.

You asked!

Hope you're doing better and can get that head of hair washed.

Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox  Wishing you the best of health and recovery.  With regard to hair I have that tight curly hair which go quite a while between washings and never feel greasy.  Most of the oils on my scalp and hair are put their artificially by me.  That said, for hygienic purposes I choose to wash my hair twice a week. My hair really gets too dry and becomes more brittle and fragile in those instances where I've had to go a week+ between washings.  Although my hair soaks up conditioner and styling products (serums, creams, oils) like a sponge, I prefer using those products on clean hair.