Honored Contributor

Re: How long are unopened cosmetics good for and....

Thanks, everyone!  Sounds like everyone is more organized than I am!  I should try to be more mindful of what I am buying.  I'm going to have to try and start making a note of what and when I buy stuff.  Some really good suggestions here.  I appreciate it! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Most of my creams have production codes on the bottom of the jars, and I can tell from the series which is the oldest.   As far as make up,  I have eye shadows that go back DECADES and are perfectly fine and beautiful.  They are powder shadows and not cream.  Lipsticks can go years depending on the brand and product itself.  I've stocked up on certain things due to discontinuation fear, which has happened to me far too often.  

Respected Contributor

@Shanus 

I do the very same thing!!! (use Sharpie)

Have had to get creative with those products that don't take a sharpie and use a cut-to-size label indicating the first time I used the product.  Sometimes labels won't adhere, so I go to the old tried-and-true method of taping a piece of paper on the back of the container.  One way or the other, that sucker is going to get the info I need on it!

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I keep them as long as the color, smell and consistency does not change.