Contributor
I have been growing out my bangs and I'm finally almost there. However, no matter what I do I cannot keep them out of my face. Ive tried blow drying with a large round brush but doesn't seem to matter which way I dry them. I've tried working with 2" inch hot rollers, the instyler and flat iron but must not be doing it right. Can't seem to find a product ( gel, mousse, hair spray) that keeps them to the side. I have a lot of hair but it's fine. It's virgin hair, never have colored or highlighted, so it is on the more silky side. Can you share your specific process on drying and styling, including products, that keeps your bangs in place? I see so many women with side bangs that stay in place, I don't get it! Help...
Honored Contributor

Re: How keep bangs out of face

Everyone who has ever tried to grow out their bangs ends up in this same perdicament. It's the place where some people get so aggravated that they end up cutting their bangs again...BTDT!

Rather than have a true bang that you curl under, you might try curling them back or over/sideways Curling them back, they will not cover your forehead anymore, but you might get a little lift at the hairline/scalp and then the rest of the bang will go back and fall off to the side. If you take your bangs and roll them sideways and blowdry them that way, you'll be making a side part on one side and rolling away from it. The bangs will get some lift and you can spray them to help keep the hair from falling forward. If neither option is satisfactory to you, then you have to resort to what a gazillion other women do and that's to use bobby pins, barrettes, and or headbands to keep the hair out of your eyes and off your face while your bangs grow out. If you can just hang in there a few more weeks, they'll get long enough to where you can get them over and behind your ear.

Honored Contributor

Find a gel that you like and use it. I have thin, fine hair and use Joico firm hold gel. I don't need a lot but it helps keep my bangs where they belong without looking like helmet-head.

Esteemed Contributor

I am growing mine out and I grab about 2/3 of the bangs on one side, twist the hair like wringing out a rag and hold them back with an itsy bitsy clip. I leave a portion of one side of my bangs to give it a softer look. I don't pull the part in the clip back tightly, but lift it a little to give it a tiny bit of height. I had an outpatient procedure yesterday and the nurses kept going on about how pretty my hair is.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Frequent Contributor

I feel your pain. I too have bangs,that won't behave. I think it has to do not only with styling but also with hair type. I have fine but lots of hair. Some people don't have as much hair so it's easier to work with...it'd you have a lot of hair it's harder to tame.
Super Contributor

On 1/1/2015 twopeas said:

I am growing mine out and I grab about 2/3 of the bangs on one side, twist the hair like wringing out a rag and hold them back with an itsy bitsy clip. I leave a portion of one side of my bangs to give it a softer look. I don't pull the part in the clip back tightly, but lift it a little to give it a tiny bit of height. I had an outpatient procedure yesterday and the nurses kept going on about how pretty my hair is.

I totally understand the whole bang issue as have very similar problems.....and end up getting frustrated and having them cut off! Have tried everything, too: I think I expect too much too soon--my patience just flies away somewhere. I have also taken some of my bangs that are growing out, twisted them, and held them back/up with a very small "grippy" claw clip. It actually has helped alot and increased my patience as the growth process continues! Good luck to all with this never-ending dilemma!
Valued Contributor

I don't know if this would be an option for you but I have found using a headband during the ""awkward"" stage prevented me from chopping them off again.

Super Contributor

The only thing that ever works for me is using a root lifter or mousse, then blowing dry my bangs to the side. I then clip them there with a small hair clip for a few minutes, and use a light hair spray to set them off to the side.