Super Contributor

How do you tell your hair texture?

I have been told my hair is fine, and also that my hair is coarse.  How do you tell?

Honored Contributor

Re: How do you tell your hair texture?

[ Edited ]

I just Googled 'how to tell what your hair texture is', and up came tons  of articles.  

That's really the easiest and fastest way to find things out, plus you learn new stuff.

BTW, mine is baby-fine in texture (how one's hair feels) - but with some coarse grays tossed in - naturally wavy, normal-to-dry, and thin-to-medium in density (how much one has).

Here's a graphic that should help:

Hair Texture

Texture refers to the diameter of the individual strand of hair.

The words "coarse," "medium," and "fine" are used to qualify texture.

Coarse hair is generally rougher and stronger than fine hair.

Hair Density

Density describes the number of hairs per square inch and is identified as "thick," "medium," or "thin."

Some stylists may also use the terms "low," "medium," or "high" when determining density.

Average density is about 2,200 hairs per square inch.

Blondes tend to have the highest density, redheads the lowest, brunettes in the middle.

Honored Contributor

Hair density has to do with the number of hairs per square inch.  There are many hairs coming out of the same follicle, so it is something that must be counted under a microscope. If I remember most people have about 1

1,000 hairs per square inch.  Boy, mine has thinned I can count mine up front with my naked eyes, and I wear glasses!  LOL!

Blondes have the highest count per square inch, as usually their hair is on the finer side.  They also tend to have round follicles, where the hair falls flatter.

Black hair has more than brunette  They tend to have oval follicles and the hair is a tad thicker per strand.

Redheads have the least count per square inch as their hair tends to be course. About 86,000 per head

Women have more hairs per sq in than men!

The shape of the actual follicle determines if you have perfectly straight, wavy, curly or super curly hair.  Straight having round follicles, and the follicle being oval to moon shape for wavy to curly.

To determine curliness, take about 2 inches ofyour hair hair.I copied the following from a book I have,The classifications for wave pattern are straight, curly, very curly, and coiled. Hair with absolutely no wave in its length is straight hair. Straight hair can be coarse, normal or fine.

Curly hair has wave to it. A curly hair strand will form a distinct 'C' shape when short and an 'S' when longer. Very curly hair will make an 'S' when short and a repetitive wave when allowed to grow out.

Every few years your hair can change.  I went from wavy to real curly, almost a coil in places after I had radiation.  I think radiation played hacoc with my follicles, and my hair texture and curl  changed.  Deep sigh here!

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

...Every few years your hair can change.  I went from wavy to real curly, almost a coil in places after I had radiation.  I think radiation played hacoc with my follicles, and my hair texture and curl  changed.

You're probably right, SK.

There are 7 reasons why hair texture can change:  

*Hormones 

*Medication 

*Diet

*Medical treatments

*Graying hair

*Over-styling

*Stress

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pianomama wrote:

I have been told my hair is fine, and also that my hair is coarse.  How do you tell?

Shoekitty wrote,

Fine hair is thinner.  If you can spare a few hairs, pull them out.  A fine hair is like a silk thread is thickness.  Course hair is thicker, feels heavier, is more highly visable in a single hair.  It is more like the finer, waxed dental floss in thickness. Course hair has a slightly rougher hand to it, when you clutch a large area of the hair, or "pet" it.  Fine or course hair has not a lot to do with density. That is another issue.  Fine hair can be extremely thick, it just takes more hairs. You know if you have course hair.  My daughter have wavy, red hair, and is it ever corse.  I call it horse hair, lol!  Course hair is fortunate in the fact that it can take more blow drying, hot tools than fine hair ever could.  Fine hair is more fragile.

Honored Contributor

Fine hair has no body - it tends to lie flat to the head, doesn't hold curl and is very soft, like kitten fur. Very difficult to style it is best not to expect too much, put your money into getting a very good cut and keeping it regularly trimmed for the best possible look. 

Regular Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

...Every few years your hair can change.  I went from wavy to real curly, almost a coil in places after I had radiation.  I think radiation played hacoc with my follicles, and my hair texture and curl  changed.

You're probably right, SK.

There are 7 reasons why hair texture can change:  

*Hormones 

*Medication 

*Diet

*Medical treatments

*Graying hair

*Over-styling

*Stress

The hormone one I know for sure.  My hair used to be blonde and stick straight.  When I was pregnant the new growth was brown and wavy/curly.  I was so disappointed!  The curl isn't even all over so I can't really wear it curly.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Fine hair has no body - it tends to lie flat to the head, doesn't hold curl and is very soft, like kitten fur. Very difficult to style it is best not to expect too much, put your money into getting a very good cut and keeping it regularly trimmed for the best possible look. 

hi HH! wadr i would disagree with this statement.  :-)

my hair testure is fine but the volume is thick and has a lot of body and is also wavy. i have an  ~S~ pattern throughout my hair. my hair frizzes easily. when i blow dry it tends to poof and become fly-away.

i have TYPE 2 wavy hair

To find your

hair type :       http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types

hair texture :    http://www.naturallycurly.com/texture-typing

naturallycurly.com

Honored Contributor

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

@151949 wrote:

hi HH! wadr i would disagree with this statement.  :-)

my hair testure is fine but the volume is thick and has a lot of body and is also wavy. i have an  ~S~ pattern throughout my hair. my hair frizzes easily. when i blow dry it tends to poof and become fly-away.

i have TYPE 2 wavy hair

To find your

hair type :       http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types

hair texture :    http://www.naturallycurly.com/texture-typing

naturallycurly.com

Thanks for the links.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

matrix.com  under cleansing conditioners then  section on determining hair type is a pretty good measurement for example if you can barely feel your hair strand when rubbing with your fingers it is considered fine. I have fine hair that I consider medium or above average density so basically I am fine but have a lot of it.